Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What to feed turkeys with? >

What to feed turkeys with?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What to feed turkeys with?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:14 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Once my turkeys find corn, I always broadcast milo. Takes them longer to pick it all up and deer and other critters leave it alone.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Thanks every one!! I have put some corn out and the only thing that came to it so far has been crows.. But, I am sure that will change...
Any update.. Did the corn work well for you?
Old 03-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes I have had some turkeys showing up for the past few days.. Now the temps have dropped they have stopped showing up again.. I have no doubt that they will be back though.. I will check out getting some milo to spread out as well.. They should have a variety to help them out anyways IMO.. I posted a few vids in the trail cam section from my prowler.. No big toms but our weather has been crazy this year with cold temps and a lot of snow..
Old 03-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Plant Chufas. Turkey love 'em. Once well established, they "reseed" themselves. It is a type of "nut grass". Has nodules just under the ground. Sort of like peanuts do.
Loose feed here in Al. is not legal durng the season. Food plots are, so Chufas fields are OK.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Phil I have know idea if this would work but you could try wild bird seed (I know I've seen it sold at Walmart)maybe they'll like that as well.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

We can not bait them here either so I am just trying to help some out over our harsh winter here.. Our season does not start until April 28th and I will surely be stopping it by the end of the first week of April to make sure nothing is on the ground then..

I have never heard tell of Chufas and not sure if they would survive our winters here or not.. But, it would be worth checking into..
Old 03-12-2014, 05:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just wanted to show you a pic of where I am feeding the turkeys here.. No big toms have showed up here but I still feel it is great to try and help them out over our harsh winter this year.. We have been forecasted now with up to 2 feet and possibly more locally in some areas.. As you can see in this pic we have plenty of snow left yet .. I wish this stuff will go away..

Old 03-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

I have never been a fan of feeding turkeys. Of course being in Alabama we don't have to worry about deep snow and such.

My biggest reason against it is the threat that you could actually kill the turkeys with the thing you are trying to feed them with.

Google search AFLATOXIN. Turkeys are highly susceptible to aflatoxins. Aflatoxins come from corn that has been exposed to high humidity or has experienced drought.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bald9eagle

Google search AFLATOXIN. Turkeys are highly susceptible to aflatoxins. Aflatoxins come from corn that has been exposed to high humidity or has experienced drought.
Thank you very much for the input bald9eagle.. That is the very last thing I would want to happen to them.. They can use some help right now with our harsh winter we have had this year..
Old 03-29-2014, 03:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well folks the turkeys and the like will be on their own looking for food after tomorrow morning. I will be ending the feeding of them as our season will be starting up on the end of April. Hopefully some warmer weather will soon be staying around here.. The turkeys and I had very little contact so they are still quite wild to say the least.. I do have some deer still showing up as well for some Lucky Buck I put out. So they deer should still be able to get a little help and that will be it until next winter..