HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Win new turkey loads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/388953-win-new-turkey-loads.html)

Mr. Longbeard 01-13-2014 07:21 AM

Win new turkey loads

Just took a shot at 40 yards with my Remington 870 SM with one of the new turkey loads from winchester... 3.5" #5's and I'll say right now there the best patterning lead turkey loads I have ever pattern out of my gun!!!

Got right at 20 hits in the vitals( skull/neck vertebra) on a Primos turkey target

This info might not be worth a crap to most of you guys because the pattern wasn't shot at a 10" circle... Sorry ;)

But I'm sold!!! Just ordered another box :cool2:

RPD63 01-13-2014 12:30 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm on the fence about buying some. I have been using the Magblend for the past two seasons.

Mr. Longbeard 01-14-2014 06:58 PM

well I doubt it will pattern better than the shells your shooting but if your wanting to save a couple bucks and don't mind shooting lead turkey loads then there definetly the way to go!!!

maytom 01-30-2014 02:30 AM

What brand of choke tube and what size restriction? Seen those shells and may try them myself this spring.

JW 01-30-2014 07:53 AM

That's good how does it do at various other yards and what is your max distance?

Patterns do vary from 10 to 40. I have seen it with a few loads especially Duplex loads as at one range you have a Hole in your pattern. Hey Just askin....

me I use Winchester Supreme and bought quite a few boxes. 10 in a box equals 10 birds so it will be a while before I redo......

However I am in need of another dedicated gun and am thinking of dropping to a 20. They make them in 20? Need to do a search

JW
JW

Mr. Longbeard 01-30-2014 10:08 AM

Well I shot them threw a kicks gt .665... I only shot at 40 yards... I've patterned a lot of shells and I know 5 yards makes a big difference... But I'm confident they will kill at 45-50 yards... Once the weather breaks I'm going to shoot 20 and 50 yards... They did seem to pattern a little high...

car 01-30-2014 04:14 PM

I'm going to pick up a box next week and try them out. They look impressive!

JW 01-30-2014 04:23 PM

Thanks LB - I am interested at the closer ranges. I did a bit of a search and am interested and they even seem to have a 20 ga load.

Lately I place a stick in the ground at a given range - if I can't said bird to point to stick at point A - it walks. Makes it way more fun and way more frustrating. But the kill is of little importance.

And that is just me.....
JW

Mr. Longbeard 01-30-2014 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by JW (Post 4119659)
Thanks LB - I am interested at the closer ranges. I did a bit of a search and am interested and they even seem to have a 20 ga load.

Lately I place a stick in the ground at a given range - if I can't said bird to point to stick at point A - it walks. Makes it way more fun and way more frustrating. But the kill is of little importance.

And that is just me.....
JW

Im not quite there just yet lol... I will be taking Prozac by 1st week in may if I haven't went up side a gobblers head :happy0157:

Have you ever tried taking a gobbler with a bow yet??? Sounds like your ready :)

maytom 01-31-2014 02:40 AM

GT suggests a .665 restriction for #5's and a .670 for #4's. Was thinking of trying #4's this time around, and those patterns they showed were done by using #4's. Pretty excited about this season!!!