HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Savage O/U for turkeys? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/384805-savage-o-u-turkeys.html)

VAriverman 09-07-2013 11:50 AM

Savage O/U for turkeys?

Has anyone used a Savage 222/20ga on turkeys? I was considering this gun for hunting gobblers that may hang-up to far away for a shotgun?

Savage Sniper 09-07-2013 05:16 PM

i may be reading this wrong, but are you asking if anyone one has shot a turkey with a rifle?

VAriverman 09-07-2013 05:25 PM

Yes that's my question, but I guess what I'm looking for is if anyone has used this particular gun (Savage 222/20) for turkey hunting? Would you think it would be a good gun (where legal) for reaching out to a tom that's hung up to far for a shotgun?

Other than a really cool looking gun, I'm not sure what this gun could be used for? It's to small for deer and may be to much centerfire for turkey?

I think what I'm looking for is justification of why I really need to buy this gun....

SecondChance 09-08-2013 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by VAriverman (Post 4078894)
Yes that's my question, but I guess what I'm looking for is if anyone has used this particular gun (Savage 222/20) for turkey hunting? Would you think it would be a good gun (where legal) for reaching out to a tom that's hung up to far for a shotgun?

Other than a really cool looking gun, I'm not sure what this gun could be used for? It's to small for deer and may be to much centerfire for turkey?

I think what I'm looking for is justification of why I really need to buy this gun....

Yes, I have a Savage O/U in 22 Hornet and 20ga and have taken many game with it. No I have never shot a turkey with it though. I would feel that if you were to match a good choke with it and shells, you would have a fine turkey gun. I feel that the .222, were legal, is not too much weapon for this bird, you would just have to limit yourself to headshots only. Too much damage for body shots.

Ridge Runner 09-08-2013 12:16 PM

never used a savage, I do however use a valmet 412 12/223 for turkey hunting

I have only killed a couple in the spring with the rifle barrel, but in the fall I have killed many, the 222 will do well on mature gobblers, in the fall on hens and young of the year its pretty hard on them unless you carefully pick your shots.
the head is a very small target and always moving so its out, you have 3 shots which will kill them and not do to much damage
1) through the ribs (does enough damage for a clean kill but doesn't hurt any meat)
2) directly going away at the base of the tail, the soft point bullets usualy are broke up before they get to the breast
3) broadside under the spine my favorite shot, 2" below the spine, and 2" deep from the anus is a soft place (its where you open them up to field dress them) all you'll hit is skin, tear that skin, they're guts fall out and they die.
rifles have always been legal here for turkeys, they really work well in the fall and I use them a lot, I use them cause they work.
RR

Bbj270 09-09-2013 12:35 PM

I have 4 22mag over 20ga. My grandfather used one two kill many turkeys with it. He us both the rifle and shotgun barrels. I use a savage 24 222 0over 12 ga. 2222 is not over kill on turkeys where outplacement is key. Dad uses a valmet 12/223.

captaincapsize 11-08-2013 09:55 AM

I see that this an old post but I'll toss in my 2 cents any way. I squirrel and other small game hunt with a Savage .22mag/20 ga. Yesterday I killed my first Pa. turkey with it using the .22 mag barrel at 80 yds. It dropped like a stone and didn't tear up any meat. The bullet went into the crop and exited through the wing joint. This is my most favorite hunting gun of all time. I also recently acquired a .223/20ga. in great shape with a 6-18x Simmons scope that is going to become my hunting gun when I develop a low powered .223 load equal to a .22 magnum or lighter.

Bbj270 11-10-2013 03:43 PM

223 does not do much damage to turkeys. Have used my 222 to shot squrriel heads off .

jepcho 11-11-2013 08:09 AM

If it's legal I don't see anything wrong with it. I'd use it in the fall. Part of the spring hunt to me is getting them into shotgun range. But that's just me. If it's legal I see no problem. I don't have the option in Iowa. Shotgun only.

florizark 11-26-2013 10:03 AM

I don't have one of those 222/20's yet still looking for one at my price range, but have several others. The 222/20 was built and marketed as a turkey gun. It would not be my choice as a deer cartridge but has killed many over the years. Last year a deer was killed with a 22 hornet and entered into the youth hunt here in Fla. I am looking for one as a small game hybrid as where I hunt in Fla, I can hunt deer and hogs while squirrel hunting. best of luck, check out Savage 24.com for more info on the guns, I am waiting patiently to acquire soon.