Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turkey population in North Miss >

Turkey population in North Miss

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey population in North Miss

Old 09-25-2003, 11:59 AM

Default Turkey population in North Miss

Any No. MS hunters;
Have you noticed a decidely increase of the birds and flocks this past year? I live on only 100 acres, but due to the ideal cover surrounding me the flocks have increased dramatically. 2 years ago a flock of over 200 totally destroyed our 5 acre corn patch. This year I am seeing smaller flocks of 15-25, But they are really hitting my Clover plots, almost destroying them. I' ll be lucky to have a food plot by deer season. If the rest of you are seeing this buildup, I think we should contact local game officers and see if more areas can be opened for either sex season in the north. Some input, please.
Russ
Old 09-25-2003, 12:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-25-2003, 02:21 PM

Default RE: Turkey population in North Miss

Poult,
That' s just the problem. I really adon' t hunt turkeys. Also, the majority of them are hens, illegal to hunt except in certain locations. Those areas are along the Mississippi. I' m in the middle of the north part, just 2 miles from Tenn. Called the warden when they ruined the corn, on the QT, he said " Shoot them, in this situation they are considered pests. If you do it under this condition, technichally you can' t harvest them. Crazy, huh? Sort of looking for some MS hunters who might help me convince the game commission that they need to expand the hunting zones. I' m 5 miles from the nearest highway and I guarranty you will see as many 15-30 turkeys any morning I happen to go out for supplies. I have a 1/2 acre of Austrian Peas and I know they will demolish it when I take down the fence for the deer.
Russ
Old 09-28-2003, 09:39 AM

i believe turkey hunting up in your area has been protected for several years to get the turkey population started in tippah county.i am no biologists,so i want offer my opinion on a fall season,however i have hunted turkeys inside the levee as well as in marshall,lafayette,panola and yalobusha and i am seeing more turkeys each year since the jake law was implemented.this success story has also increased the number of turkey hunters.i have total confidence in our project leader,ron seiss to recommend the proper actions.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:06 PM

loner,
The success around here has been astounding! We have seen as many as 200+ in our cornfield. When it was in the milk stage they hit it like an army, totally destroying the 5 acres. I can see 15 -30 turkeys just about anytime I scout the woods. Some friends hunt in Tenn which is just 2 miles north of me and they are seeing large numbers too. I have some small Clover plots and they do a number on them, leaving very little browse for deer. Believe me, thay are established. I don' t hunt turkeys but a friend has taken a couple Gobblers on our land each spring season without any problem.
Russ
Old 10-02-2003, 09:36 AM

russ,have you talked with ron seiss about this problem?he is probably the most knowledgeable biologist around.he is the ms.turkey cordinator.i wish i lived closer to alcorn county,i would help you out.