Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Cody Turkey Calls!

Old 05-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
but it wasn't a cody, right?
RR
Yep,It was a Cody I had the problem with.Bad enough he wouldn't stand behind his product but he actually seemed offended that I brought it to his attention.Got pretty heated at the Harrisburg Outdoor show.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bghunter777
I bought my first woodhaven this year after hearing good things it was a glass. The call was ok but just didnt quite have that realism I expected. I judge realism simply by could u tell that's a call you may even say that's a pretty good call but u know its a call none the less. IMO Cody particular slate Cody's are almost impossible to decipher from a wild hen.

I understand no 2 hens sound the same but I'm sure u have all heard the guy whaling away on a paddle box call it doesn't take a seasoned pro to tell u that's a call.
Been huntin turkey over 40 yrs.Not very often I get fooled but it's not because of any brand of call but more to do with the rhythm of the user.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:26 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I also went to custom calls.....but as with anything else ...buyer beware....and any custom maker out there that don't stand behind their calls.....see ya.

This has been a bad year for me with my calls, broke a box dangit, flat wore out 2 other boxes due to cutting.......it was the longest cut yet! Man that was fun but the hen came in......and I cracked my double side slate over glass.
That pot is going back in to the maker as I contacted him. Told me he would try...the call was made in 2003!
The boxes....won't even ask...how do you guarantee wood?

But I have a few others .....won't buy again...
So buyer beware.......
JW
Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

I have a cody glass I think it was one of the first designs they ever made prob 25 years old. I dropped this call about 12 years ago resulting in a broken sound board sent it back and they repaired it no questions asked. I no longer use this call as any call made from wood that old looses some tone and quality. I do keep it around just for a keep sake as its the call I called my first bird in with.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot Cody calls a email about a call... Never ever responded to my email... Oh well I use to be a Cody fans
Old 05-22-2013, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
I shot Cody calls a email about a call... Never ever responded to my email... Oh well I use to be a Cody fans
Give them a call I just called them a few weeks ago to order a few strikers very pleasant on the phone threw in a few extra items as well. From everything Iv gathered is its still a fairly small company who may not be sitting at a computer responding to e-mails. Maybe this is bad business but i think they are more old school and don't keep up with e-mails.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bghunter777
Give them a call I just called them a few weeks ago to order a few strikers very pleasant on the phone threw in a few extra items as well. From everything Iv gathered is its still a fairly small company who may not be sitting at a computer responding to e-mails. Maybe this is bad business but i think they are more old school and don't keep up with e-mails.

thanks for the info
Old 05-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Two hens each with their own chicks are in the field are looking for insects.
The one hen find one and calls to her chicks. Do you think the chicks of the other hen would come to that call?
After a month or so of that they will recognize the call of the mother hen for sure.
The Tom also recognizes the call of a particular hen so if your call happen to mimic closely the pitch of that call, he has no reason not to come, whether it's a cheap call or an expensive one, as long as you are using it right. Of course some are just gullible and want to come anyway.
You can also teach a Tom by association using the same call over and over again and a bang to go with each time. Soon the same Tom will shy away from the same call or decoy for the same reason.
This is just personal field observation nothing more.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by huntrfishr
Two hens each with their own chicks are in the field are looking for insects.
The one hen find one and calls to her chicks. Do you think the chicks of the other hen would come to that call?
After a month or so of that they will recognize the call of the mother hen for sure.
The Tom also recognizes the call of a particular hen so if your call happen to mimic closely the pitch of that call, he has no reason not to come, whether it's a cheap call or an expensive one, as long as you are using it right. Of course some are just gullible and want to come anyway.
You can also teach a Tom by association using the same call over and over again and a bang to go with each time. Soon the same Tom will shy away from the same call or decoy for the same reason.
This is just personal field observation nothing more.
A little hard to follow but I think you are trying to say a cheap call can be just as good and I agree its possible but IMO higher end calls replicate the majority of wild turkeys more realistic than lower end "cheap calls". I said this before and its no knock on anyone elses calling but I have found that for the average ability caller aka your guy that just gets his call out to hunt. It really does make little difference and why I think many people have that opinion but when you reach a certain level of calling ability I think you will find the higher end calls offer advanages when hunting. Also how many times can we miss a bird you say a bird will start to associate a bang to go with each time he is called in?
Old 05-31-2013, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll tell ya what... I've got a BOX full of custom calls and to me they all sound good... I'm done buyin custom calls... I use a old call I bought from a old man at the Harrisburg show like 18 years ago... I've killed more gobbler with that call than any other call I have... 20 dollar call with a corn cob striker.... I love that thing!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.