Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend? >

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Old 05-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

The feathers do a fair job of stopping many of the pellets of normal shot at 35-40 and beyond I wander if you can even eat a turkey shot w TSS over 40 yards once the pattern has spread out enough to cover a portion of the body.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

This will be the last one from a 12GA at 60yds. But I have seen 20GA loads of this stuff about the same with TSS #9's.

And again these are for illustration purposes only. It's up to you to know what your gun choke and load is capable of before you start shooting at turkeys at long distances.

But the technology is there over lead to make this stuff a very easy 60yd turkey thumper if you do your homework.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bghunter777
The feathers do a fair job of stopping many of the pellets of normal shot at 35-40 and beyond I wander if you can even eat a turkey shot w TSS over 40 yards once the pattern has spread out enough to cover a portion of the body.
I have heard from Hal that TSS #9's will shoot through the breast of a bird at 40 yds I believe was what he said. Now I don't know if that is shooting into the bird facing you are at a side view. But remember what I told you about thinking of hypodermic needles when talking about this TSS #9 stuff. TSS #8 would probably be even more wicked as for how far out it would kill.

But again I don't support this extra long range shooting that this stuff is supposed to be able to do. So I'm just passing on info. I don't shoot this stuff like I told you earlier. But having said that and comparing this stuff to the hardness and density of hevi-13 which is actually 12g/cc vs the TSS #9 or 8's that are 18g/cc, one can only do the math what this TSS stuff could be very well capable of doing at yardages most guys would think that is unethical even if the pattern is there. That's up to each shooter to decide that does decide to shoot this stuff or those that are already shooting it.

Last edited by Brad C.; 05-19-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Here's a link to some TSS 20GA patterns just to show you that you don't need a 12GA to shoot this stuff.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...-7&sp=6&sk=HS5
Old 05-20-2013, 02:10 AM
Fork Horn

Impressive patterns if it really does retain energy as one would logically think based on weight size and hardness. I think would could safely call that a 60 yard turkey gun. If one would choose to want one.

What are the reviews you have heard on choke selection does TSS tend to pattern well with many quality chokes. I know I have heard the heavy weight federal is choke specific. Obviously choke and gun are different for every individuals set up but is TSS generally considered receptive.

also how have individuals addressed it damaging gun. I have heard from Benelli dealers that Benelli does not even recomend Hevi shot.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:41 AM
Banned

It does retain the energy. It is wicked and it does well with exsisting chokes. I have no doubt u can get a 70 yard 100/10 pattern with a little tinkering. Yes it is safe to eat but u really shud try get the shot out of the meat
Old 05-20-2013, 05:43 AM
Banned

If u want the best info go to gobblernation and look up hawglips( hal) he is the man with all the info
Old 05-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Well the TSS used to be thought that a little more open chokes gave the best pattern, and while they do seem to give a great 20" spread, but now that more and more guys are reloading TSS, more are trying tighter chokes and achieving some incredible 10" patterns. So it's really up to the individual what you want in a pattern. Some like the more spread out 20" pattern, instead of the tighter 10" numbers, but some tighter chokes are putting up both. It's just depends on the choke and load your using I would say.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

And for guys reading this I don't think they recommend shooting this TSS in the older barrel shotguns. So I would make dang sure to talk to Hal about any of the dangers or questions you may have with this stuff or any shotgun you plan to shoot it in just to be on the safe side. I take no responsibility for posting what I posted. It's up to you to get all the specifics about what to do and not to do with this TSS.

Last edited by Brad C.; 05-20-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Brad C.
And for guys reading this I don't think they recommend shooting this TSS in the older barrel shotguns. So I would make dang sure to talk to Hal about any of the dangers or questions you may have with this stuff or any shotgun you plan to shoot it in just to be on the safe side. I take no responsibility for posting what I posted. It's up to you to get all the specifics about what to do and not to do with this TSS.
I'm considering buying some TSS if I get the time to dable with some loads idk if I could bring myself to buy 9s I'm the 5 shot fanboy remember but maybe a 7s and 8s blend or even str8 8s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.