Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend? >

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Old 05-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bghunter777
That was my thinking with a basic understanding of KE retention without in depth research. Same as in archery heavier has way more to do with penetration than size and to some extent speed.
That's true. A #4 turkey load will carry its velocity better over the course of its flight vs a #6 load that was shot the exact same speed.

But remember that hard shot and denser shot won't be the same like an arrow that is heavier vs the lighter one when it comes to penetration. I know why you posted it. But what I want you to understand is that shot hardness and density will be the contributing factors to how deep a particular shot will penetrate. Lead deforms when hit. Hevi-13 shot or shot that is harder yet like the Fed Hvyweight or TSS is denser yet and weighs even more and will penetrate a lot more than Hevi-13 shot. Let me show you a pattern that Hal(the guy that sells TSS in the US) shot at 40yds using TSS #8's. He has done test with sheetmetal using TSS #9's that quite a few of the 9's penetrated sheetmetal and the not one of the lead 4's penetrated it. But I believe that was a different sheetmetal test and not the one showed here.

Last edited by Brad C.; 05-19-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Here was the TSS what Hal called T98(that I think means 9 and 8 mixed) that I believe Hal shot at 50yds just to prove his point. Now remember not one of the lead #4 Win 1 and 7/8oz 3" load penetrated this same sheetmetal at 40yds in his test.

Last edited by Brad C.; 05-19-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

I understand that and that was my point I am on board w smaller harder shot if it can retain the energy to be effective beyond the point my larger shot no longer patterns well I just haven't found that yet with hevi shot asy beloved 5s as u call them still pattern well enough to kill turkeys at 50 yards which is why I have never considered going smaller thinking it will not add anything other than more pellets.

I am on board with what your saying and fully understand the hardness of the pellet and weight have more to do with penetration if I saw a pellet that was retaining its energy while still offering the benefit of dense patterns I would make the change. I just personally haven't seen that w hevi 13 yet but maybe the mega weight or TSS will make me a convert to 7s
Old 05-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Well remember this as well when talking about TSS shot. It from the get-go has an advantage over other shot due to it's super hard and dense. So the smaller size TSS pellets have a smaller surface area when it comes to shooting at tin or sheetmetal. So that explains why lead don't have a chance to compete in this test. But having said that TSS from the guys I know that shoots it swear by the results that they obtain shooting the real thing, a turkey when it comes to patterns and penetration. Think of the TSS(#9's or 8's) as little hypodermic needles that pierce the skin, bones or feathers on a live turkey. Then and only then can a person appreciate its advantage over lead and other htl shot. But also remember that TSS is like $55 a pound or so to ship. I believe I am right on that, but it may not count shipping. About $9 a pop to load a 2.25oz load, so you have to ask yourself is it feasible to use. For turkey hunting I would say it can be, but not for a guy that just wants to pattern the stuff it would be silly and break a guy quickly if he did so.

Last edited by Brad C.; 05-19-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Tell me what shotgun you shoot turkeys with.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Here's one my buddy Samuel shot out of his 870 SM at 40yds using a Briley Hevi-Shot .675 choke and Fed 3.5" Heavyweight #7's 1 and 7/8oz load.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

I have 3 that I take turkey hunting an 870 mag 3"...870 super mag sps 3.5 inch the thumb hole stock both remingtons have a hevi shot choke and a mossberg 835 w a jellyhead. Admittedly if sell the mossberg just not a fan of it. I love both my Remington's but hunt w the 870 as much as the sps just bc I like the gun. I'm thinking of getting a versa max they look sweet
Old 05-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Well you might want to look into that last pattern I showed you, or a Trulock choke to shoot the Fed Hvweight 7's from George Trulock. That's if your interested in going with that load. But I make no guarantees with any of the chokes or them loads in your gun. I would say these guys are legit with their patterns. But remember I don't know about the rumors on this stuff being discontinued or not. So that's up to you if you buy or not. You may want to stock up on it if it does in fact work for you.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Here's what bawana said at Old Gobbler on the 870 vs 835 thread about these shells.

Have both....been using the 870 supermag with Federal HW #7 in 3 1/2 inch shells for the last five years.......It's a turkey killing sob!!
Old 05-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Brad C.
Here's what bawana said at Old Gobbler on the 870 vs 835 thread about these shells.

Have both....been using the 870 supermag with Federal HW #7 in 3 1/2 inch shells for the last five years.......It's a turkey killing sob!!
I would probably be more interested in TSS if I found someone to load it I just don't have the resources to load shotgun shells I used to have reloaders for 12s and 20s but got rid of them long ago. I would think a blend of 7s and 8s based on what Iv read may be something that would fit my tastes of patterns and KE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.