Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend? >

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Old 05-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Brad C.
Well they also won't pattern like the Hevi-13 loads will. Nor will they kill as far. But I know some say they can. Let's just forget about those 75yd turkey shots and let's just call it a day. I'm game. No more talk of long shots and we can put all this talk what was said behind us.

Call it a truce.
Lol prob would be a bad time to bring up years ago knew a guy who shot twice back to back w a semi auto I will leave the distance out of the equation bird falls over he walks up bird comes fully back to life in his hands. He took the bird to be mounted and one pellet was found that did not penetrate the skull but simply knocked it out. No other damage on the entire bird. I will call a truce however as I know a story like that had no place on a public forum and no that was not myself.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

snapper1982,

I would like to see how my 835 and Star Dot shoke would pattern some TSS 2.25oz #9's. But I doubt I ever will. I'm pretty content with the Hevi #7's.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bghunter777
Seems pretty irresponsible of hevi shot to advertise something like the then? You guys better send them some emails and boycott what if a child logs on and sees that
actuall they did get boycotted and lost a lot of business when they first put that claim out a couple of years ago. but the fact remains that you can not beat their product. now if federal would get their head out their butt and do a 2oz 3 inch 7 and a 2.25oz 3.5 inch load then I bet a lot of guys would jump wagon. they are even heavier at 15g than hevi shot at 12g
Old 05-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Lol prob would be a bad time to bring up years ago knew a guy who shot twice back to back w a semi auto I will leave the distance out of the equation bird falls over he walks up bird comes fully back to life in his hands. He took the bird to be mounted and one pellet was found that did not penetrate the skull but simply knocked it out. No other damage on the entire bird. I will call a truce however as I know a story like that had no place on a public forum and no that was not myself.
I would'nt doubt that one bit. Speaking of that I got a video I'll show you that reminds me of that story you just told. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by snapper1982
actuall they did get boycotted and lost a lot of business when they first put that claim out a couple of years ago. but the fact remains that you can not beat their product. now if federal would get their head out their butt and do a 2oz 3 inch 7 and a 2.25oz 3.5 inch load then I bet a lot of guys would jump wagon. they are even heavier at 15g than hevi shot at 12g
snapper1982,

There is talk on Old Gobbler by a couple guys that said they heard Federal was going to stop making the heavyweight turkey loads.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Not to stir anymore controversy but isn't hevi shot 10% heavier than lead it would seem like 10% would give u an advantage but not what many claim have in your opinions 7s really changed from what was commonly though of as 35 yard pellets to 50-55 with only a 10 % increase in density. Logically you would think efficiency would increase 10 % or 3-5 yards but obviously there are other factors in play. Just seems like a big jump when at the root it is still only 10% denser
Old 05-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Banned

Not to stir anymore controversy but isn't hevi shot 10% heavier than lead it would seem like 10% would give u an advantage but not what many claim have in your opinions 7s really changed from what was commonly though of as 35 yard pellets to 50-55 with only a 10 % increase in density. Logically you would think efficiency would increase 10 % or 3-5 yards but obviously there are other factors in play. Just seems like a big jump when at the root it is still only 10% denser
it is more than just the weight increase(btw hevi 13 is not actually 13g it is 12g they stopped making 13g a couple of years ago) the added hardness of the shot helps to minimize deformation of the pellets during the shot process therefore increasing pattern density. and adding to the increased effective distance. I know many people that have killed with lead 7s at 40 yards. so I have no doubt that hevi 7s will do it at 50 and I have read/heard guys killed at 60 or further. I have not patterned at that distance so I will not say that my setup will achieve a kill at 60 but I do not doubt 7s will put him down as long as your set up has the pattern.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
you can forget if ya want, but I won't because I did it on 3 occasions, if you have never taken a 75 yard shot then how can you have an opinion on the matter?
RR
the reason we can have an opinion is because we have all seen/heard about birds being wounded and most of those were a direct result of them being to far. congrats on your 3 shots but that does not mean that numbers 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 wont all get away wounded. it comes down to this. if a couple pellets land in the brain/spine then you will own that bird but if they do not hit that tiny little area then you have wounded a bird. which is why we are so adamant about numbers in the 10 circle aka pattern density and if you have at least 100 in the 10 there is no way that there wont be at least a few land in that tiny kill zone.

I did not write this to start it back up but simply to help you see our side. I wont write again guys sorry.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

I'm trying to get some guys to help me find this video. It may take awhile, but I think I will get it posted shortly.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

oh I would still like to see patterns at 75 yards
LOL! Me too because I think his claims are a joke.

Ridge why are you wasting time with us when you could be out there dominating the still target competition world and setting world records? A gun that will throw a 100% killing pattern of lead 6's at 76 yards should still be shooting one ragged hole at the distance they fire at in still target competitions. Not only could you set the new world record for number of pellets in the 3 inch circle they shoot at, but you could conceivably shoot the entire 3 inch circle clean out of the target. LOL!

I can't see how I can even carry on a serious conversation with you. Setting aside the fact that I do not believe for a minute that you are getting anything that could even still be called a pattern at 76 yards with lead 6's I will instead say for the record that lead 6's will not consistently kill turkeys at 76 yards. Has it "ever" happened? Maybe but it would be a very lucky golden BB indeed. Probably have to hit him in the eye. The only thing that will pattern and kill to that distance consistently is hand loaded TSS shot. But TSS is 18gm/cc in density compared to leads 10 or 11gm/cc. And it's 100 times harder than lead. But that's a whole different ballgame that has no bearing on what's being claimed here. I will try to dig up the amount of kinetic energy a lead 6 pellet would have left out past 70 yards and get back to you. Trust me, it ain't a lot.

But by all means you feel free to prove me wrong. Where do you want to meet to shoot a 76 yard lead 6 pattern for me? I promise I will come back here and eat a plate of crow that would choke a mule if you can demonstrate a good pattern at that distance with any lead 6 shell. Oh, but I insist we use my range finder cause I think there is something wrong with yours. LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.