Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend? >

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Old 05-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why do you need 100 pellets to kill a turkey you would be hard pressed to spread 50 pellets around a 10 inch circle and not have a few find the head and neck
Tack a turkey head target up at 60 yards and see how often you land a pellet in the brain or spinal column with number 5 shot. Pellets in flesh are irrelevant. You need hits in bone to drop him. I think you will find the experience educational.

I have personally seen turkeys look like you hit them with a sledge hammer at 65 yards w #5s
And I think someone needs a laser range finder and a lesson on how to use it. You would be lucky to land a single pellet in a lethal spot with 5's at that range much less hit him with enough pellets for a "Sledgehammer" effect. Either you are overestimating the range of these kills or are just plain full of it. Only you know which.

Last edited by Todd1700; 05-16-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Todd1700
Tack a turkey head target up at 60 yards and see how often you land a pellet in the brain or spinal column with number 5 shot. Pellets in flesh are irrelevant. You need hits in bone to drop him. I think you will find the experience educational.

And I think someone needs a laser range finder and a lesson on how to use it. You would be lucky to land a single pellet in a lethal spot with 5's at that range much less hit him with enough pellets for a "Sledgehammer" effect. Either you are overestimating the range of these kills or are just plain full of it. Only you know which.

You guys are comical these where verified with a range finder the third gentlemen was just abt to lean over the the shooter and tell him don't shoot they are to far when whaaammmm! The bird face planted with little more than a twitch we all just looked at each other like what just happened. And to Dan I have shot my gun at targets to 60 yards admittedly the density is obviously not what 7s nor probably 100 pellets in a 10 inch circle but out to 60 yards I am fully confident I still achieve adequate density and 65-70 would although not be 100% would more often then not kill that bird. Again I did not not have I ever shot that far I was the third party and yes it did happen dispite your accusations that it did not.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

but out to 60 yards I am fully confident I still achieve adequate density .
I'd be willing to bet you serious money that you cannot back that up in a controlled test session at a shooting range. I have put others to the test with their big claims about 4 or 5 shot before. Talk is cheap but when you put them behind the trigger at an accurately measured distance all the big claims and talk are exposed as the BS it was all along.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

I'd be willing to bet you serious money that you cannot back that up in a controlled test session at a shooting range. I have put others to the test with their big claims about 4 or 5 shot before. Talk is cheap but when you put them behind the trigger at an accurately measured distance all the big claims and talk are exposed as the BS it was all along.
I'd be willing to bet I don't care enough about what you think to spend 40 dollars on a box of ammo and a day of my time at a range. i have shot my set up in the past and have full confidence in any shot I would take. I have a life and career I don't even live where my guns are kept and quite frankly have other things going on I gave a real life example of watching two turkeys this past season killed 1 almost flipped over forward at 65 and the other stone dead at 75. I currently live and work in NYC but travel several weeks a year to turkey hunt. you can continue to dispute my claims if that makes you feel better but please let it go and move on you care a little to much about this. I have no horse in the race I didnt take the shot I didn't even range find it to be honest I was calling on both occasions and a simple witness and trusted the other gentlemen who did range both shots that he was telling the truth what I do know for certain is it was far and the Hevi #13 shot #5 was impressive I'm doubting a load of 7s would have had the same effect and as my original post intent see little value at any range we all agree is normal #7s Hevi shot add. I have shot my set up at 50 yards and feel it will kill a turkey just as dead as any #7 load will but in that rare circumstance I misjudge a shot I personally think although less pellets the added KE of 5 shot gives you a higher likelyhood of taking a bird at longer ranges.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Not really. The two components of how far you can consistently kill turkeys with any load are pattern density and the ability of a pellet to penetrate deeply enough to kill at a given range. No doubt Hevi-13 number 5 pellets are going to carry more penetrating power than Hevi-13 number 7 shot. But the pattern density with number 5's is going to fall below acceptable levels pretty quickly.

It doesn't make a tinkers @#^& how thoroughly a pellet would have killed a turkey if it sails past his head and neck 3 inches to the left or right. Or even worse hits him in areas that are not immediately lethal so that he runs off and dies from infection.

Tack a sheet of poster paper on a tree at 60 or 70 yards and shoot at the center of it with a load of hevi-13 number 5's. I'll bet you will see holes in the pattern that you could run a ground hog through much less a turkeys head and neck.
Todd is speaking the whole truth. Trust me, he's not saying that to get you going. I know he's right.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

That's what we are are trying to tell you here. Have you ever watched the Matrix? There's a part in that movie where Morpheus tells Neo(The One) that there's a big difference from walking a path and knowing the path. That will apply here exactly to the t. Your Hevi-13 5's in either 3.5" 2.25oz or 3" 2oz are not going to give you 100 pellets in a 10" at 50yds tape measured. I don't think that I know that. So does Todd. We have been there. I would say you would do good to have 60 pellets in a 10" on most shotguns and whatever choke you use. Most guns do good with those loads to even give 130 in a 10" at 40yds taped. And that's a great pattern of 5's. And some will do good to give you 110 at 40yds. So even if you get 130 at 40yds, you are going to lose 80 to 100 more pellets at 50 in the 10". So now what you have is 30 to 50 pellets in the 10" at 50yds. Now you shoot a turkey with that kind of pattern, and I don't care who you are or how much confidence you or anyone else as in their gun or that kind of pattern it's not going to always hit vitals on the head and neck of a turkey every shot. It will be more luck or chance than anything whether or not that turkey dies, and a lot of chance that it will run off wounded more than likely if you do the math with your 10" results when you simply put don't have the sufficient numbers with that load of 5's in your gun to be shooting a turkey at that distance.

Last edited by Brad C.; 05-17-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Me too!

I have been there and done that.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

I sure would like to see some of those 60yd targets that you speak so confidently of.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

I'm gonna go ahead and post this just to prove a point and I'm not saying I would do it. Conditions would have to be perfect. But this will better illustrate my point to you about shooting a turkey with a legit enough 40yd pattern to kill one in all probability at 75yds. This would be what I would want my pattern to look like. And this is not my pattern, but a buddy of mine(Walter), who I talked to recently on the phone shot this awhile back out of his Moss 935 and Star Dot .676 choke using TSS #9s 2.25oz at 40yds. These left the muzzle at around 1125fps. Now if you know anthing at all about TSS #9's it will penetrate sheet metal at 40yds on most of the shot. Lead 4's won't penetrate it on any of the pellets. There's 465 shot in the 10" at 40yds. Walter is a pretty smart guy. He also knows his chokes.

Now doing the math we would approximately get 365 at 50yds, 265 at 60yds 165 at 70yds and we will just call it an even 100 at 75 which would be a little on the low end of what it probably would be. But nonetheless, I showed you, the original poster this only to educate yourself on what kind of pattern you would need to truly have in a perfect scenario and I don't recommend it, a 75yd turkey killing pattern. And yes those TSS 9's would slice right through bone at that distance. But again you have to center that main 10" pattern over the head and neck of the turkey. And this was for illustration purposes only.

Last edited by Brad C.; 05-17-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not to stir things up, but PERSONALLY, the day I take a shot at a turkey past 50 yards is the day I quit calling myself a turkey "hunter".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.