Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend? >

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Banned

8s will do it just fine.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

I know Hal likes to go by the shot being able to penetrate at least 1.5" in a gelatin mass for max killing range, but I don't agree with that. And I have told him that myself. Going by that max range on a Hevi-13 #7 load is right at 42yds I believe. That's crazy when I myself have shot one at I know at least 48yds and probably more like 50yds, and remember I was a bowhunter for years and I also am a pattern nut, so I know what 40yds is to t by taping it so much. I know that the majority of all my shot did to that bird at 50yds. Heck it penetrated as good as lead 4's probably would have done. But Hal said that I believe a TSS #8 is good to 85yds.

Last edited by Brad C.; 05-20-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

I wanted to tell you guys that I just found out from a guy that got ahold of Federal about the heavyweight turkey loads being discontinued, and the Fed rep told him they have no plans to discontinue Heavyweight turkey ammo.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

I just found what Hal said about the Hevi-13 #7's. I was off a 1/4" on the gelatin. It's 1.25" and 1yd off on the distance. Here's what Hal said.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable shooting past 43 yds with Hevi-13 #7s, since that's the max distance they meet the 1.25" penetration standard of mine mentioned above.

Last edited by Brad C.; 05-20-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Here's another one from Hal I do agree with.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

There is no such thing as a 70 yd turkey gun with hevishot or hevi-13 -- I don't care what choke you use. And I personally would suggest that any such shot would be an unethical one due to the high probability of leaving shot in the bird and low probability of him dying.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no such thing as a 70 yd turkey gun with hevishot or hevi-13 -- I don't care what choke you use. And I personally would suggest that any such shot would be an unethical one due to the high probability of leaving shot in the bird and low probability of him dying.
Agree totally. And Hal is certainly a person that knows way more than most about what shotguns and various shot will do at a given range since he has done extensive testing in this area..
Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Banned

Yes Hal knows a lot more than we do about loads chokes guns and penetration.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, but remember too, and I have nothing against Hal at all, but it's easy to promote what you sell. Just something to think about. But I know he believes in the TSS stuff, and the patterns I have seen and the results I have heard from people I trust are unreal. But having said that gelatin and tin are two entire different subtances than shooting at the head and neck of a turkey. But nonetheless you can't take anything away from what this TSS shot can do.

Last edited by Brad C.; 05-20-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brad C.
Yes, but remember too, and I have nothing against Hal at all, but it's easy to promote what you sell. Just something to think about. But I know he believes in the TSS stuff, and the patterns I have seen and the results I have heard from people I trust are unreal. But having said that gelatin and tin are two entire different subtances than shooting at the head and neck of a turkey. But nonetheless you can't take anything away from what this TSS shot can do.
yes he no doubt promotes TSS.

and with those pellet counts and patterns it is undeniable that it will rock a turkey. now will a tss 7 pattern be better than a hevi 7? idk but I do know the pellets will hit a lot harder lol.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by snapper1982
yes he no doubt promotes TSS.

and with those pellet counts and patterns it is undeniable that it will rock a turkey. now will a tss 7 pattern be better than a hevi 7? idk but I do know the pellets will hit a lot harder lol.
No doubt about them hitting harder and penetrating deeper. But as for patterning better that just depends on the gun and choke and the loads used. No guarantees in patterning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.