Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Does this count as a double beard? >

Does this count as a double beard?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Does this count as a double beard?

Old 05-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Does this count as a double beard?

I shot a jake on saturday and have been busy since then. I just got everything salted (to dry out). and I noticed the turkey looks like it had a double beard. at the tagging station they didn't measure it or anything, I could of took a hen there and they wouldn't of known.

It was rainy when I shot it so that's why i never noticed it, plus I had to leave at 6:30 and shot the bird at 5:30 so I was in a big hurry.

here it is (can't really remember how to post pictures.)
http://s846.photobucket.com/user/xxl...beard.jpg.html

so what do you think?
double beard?

Last edited by JW; 05-14-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yup it is in my opinion.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Banned

no. you can take any beard and pull it apart just like that. seen it many times.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to see pictures where the feathers are out of the way. I can't tell for sure but it doesn't really look like he pulled it apart. Do you have other pictures?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RPD63
I would like to see pictures where the feathers are out of the way. I can't tell for sure but it doesn't really look like he pulled it apart. Do you have other pictures?
no I don't, it may have got pulled apart that way as it dried because I never pulled it apart. I will just assume that its a single bearded turkey.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thelukai1100
no I don't, it may have got pulled apart that way as it dried because I never pulled it apart. I will just assume that its a single bearded turkey.
did not mean you pulled it apart. I have seen several that had been done by the bird. from fighting or what ever I do not know.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Surely looks like two separate beards to me. Doesn't look pulled apart to me. It certainly seems far too thick to me to be one beard for a jake. My assumption would be two beards. Too bad there aren't more pics to get a better/different look at it. Congrats on the bird, regardless!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

No, the 2nd beard would be one in itself.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:37 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RPD63

You do need a better picuture as RPD63 has stated.

To have a true extra beard there will be a separate node to where it is attached to the body and the beard grows from.

With the current picture - No it does not show that but the again remove the feathers.

JW
Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JW
To have a true extra beard there will be a separate node to where it is attached to the body and the beard grows from.

JW
exactly. if you look at the pic provided you will notice the 2 pieces both have the same curves even in the middle you will notice they both have the same little kink. toward the base in the "white skin" on the beard hairs you will notice that they both fit together. on separate beards you will not have this kind of fit to them. I will say that one beard separated and given time it could "grow and form into separate beards but in this case I stand by it being a single beard.

I do apologize the the op for not doing this sooner

Congrats on your bird and may many more be in your future!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.