HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Silent WNY Turkeys?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/381302-silent-wny-turkeys.html)

turkeygirl2 05-05-2013 08:39 AM

Silent WNY Turkeys??

Anyone else in WNY finding the birds pretty quiet? I'm not hearing anything at roost time and last couple mornings nothing....Of course last 2 mornings hunted state land spot where I heard a bird opening day, nothing. In the evenings went to a few spots high up...nothing responds to the owl call....

Either they aren't gobbling or they are all dead...:rolleye0011:

Arrowmaster 05-05-2013 12:59 PM

Its been that way here in Indiana as well. That is the area that I hunt. Ive also heard others stating the same thing.

Sheridan 05-05-2013 01:07 PM

Hunted all season here in SoCal.

Only heard gobbling from the roost; once they hit the ground NOTHIN !!!

Not even hens calling...................

Phil from Maine 05-05-2013 03:59 PM

It has been they same way up here! The only ones that are doing any real gobbling are the jakes. Although I did manage to get a Tom to gobble 1 time yesterday and then he went off in another direction?? They are acting strange up here right now as well. But, they are there so keep at em.

turkeygirl2 05-06-2013 07:39 AM

That is my thing, I am torn between scouting out new spots or keep hitting the area that one bird was at as I found several of his droppings in a grassy gas line and some hen droppings. Lost my main hunting ground so starting from scratch this year.

I noticed as well not even hearing the hens talk. Kinda wondering with winter running late this year if it set back things....last year spring was early.

Teebugg 05-06-2013 11:36 AM

from what ive heard here in ny....henned up! try hunting later in the morning when the hens go to nest. thats how i connected on thursday at 1130 lol he had 2 other big boys with him that had no problems gobbling! i found they didnt like soft calling, but when i got real aggresive on the mouth call they cut me off.

jalvja 05-06-2013 01:07 PM

Have patience Grass hoppers:s1:.Killed one this mornin.He gobbled and strutted the whole way in.Last week I never heard a peep from the same spot.I'm just guessin but I'd say by this weekend they'll fire up.

rafsob 05-06-2013 04:09 PM

Had a similar problem. Hunted all week and never heard a sound. Then came Saturday and I nailed my first bird. Weird for sure. Must have been me. My buddies were working birds all week.

K926 05-07-2013 05:17 AM

Real slow in WNY where I'm at. Quiet mornings, not much talk. Hoping things pick up this weekend

Uncle Nicky 05-07-2013 08:30 AM

I spent 5 long days up & down the hills near Syracuse last week, didn't pull the trigger. Fair amount of gobbling in the trees, and silent once they hit the ground, even birds that DIDN'T have hens (saw them fly down & walk in the other direction). But, I heard shots & reports of guys (& girls) killing them, so it's not impossible.

Like the old saying goes, when the going gets tough, the tough get going. :)

There are still 24 days left, it's gotta change sooner or later. As distasteful as it may seem to some, when birds are quiet like this, it's often best to hunt them like deer, get on their feeding & travel paths & just wait them out.

Best of luck to all!