Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Silent WNY Turkeys??

Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunted 6 out of the last seven days in southern NY. called one if for my son on Wednesday morning at 5:54 then had birds working and got cut off by hens. Moved and called in three jakes.

Thursday morning three gobbles on the roost in a different spot one gobble at 10:00 then nothing left woods at 11:45.

Friday not one gobble all day left woods at 11:30 walked about 6 miles.

Saturday had Toms in the field that flew down basically with hens. Not a gobble after 6:20.

Roosted some birds Saturday night hunted them Sunday morning gobbled in the tree and about ten times after they hit the ground, then nothing hunted till about 10:30

Monday went Walleye fishing caught limit.

This morning set up where I had scouted a nice bird before the season, Toms and Jakes Gobbling hens calling to them. Had a hen fly down about 50 yards from me heard 5 other birds fly down. Then I see two hens with the Tom strutting behind them. Ten minutes later three hens come out of the woods I call and they get all excited start coming my way. BOOM another hunter drops the Tom in his tracks about a 120 yards away and all the other birds fly by me. Didn't know the other guys were there. Not a dangerous situation plenty of stuff between us and I didn't hear any bird shot coming my way. That's hunting state land. Must have come in from the other road there were no cars were I park.

Birds are definitely henned up.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

sounds like they are henned up! ill be back at them come sunday morning!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

Here in WV where I hunt public and private there has not been a gobble since a week ago last Saturday. I know birds were here and gobbled early in the season. There is no pressure on the private ground and very little on the public as hunters have stopped hunting on the public ground. Can't hear one. Went to bed last night in a downpour so I slept in this morning because it was supposed to continue today and awoke to blue skies.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

same here after 620 or so no gobbles at all only been able to go out twice working 6 days a week is putting a damper on my hunting
Old 05-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
Had a similar problem. Hunted all week and never heard a sound. Then came Saturday and I nailed my first bird. Weird for sure. Must have been me. My buddies were working birds all week.

I hunt in Sussex, VA and we have had great gobbling all spring.... probably just jinx myself for tmw.

It wasn't you.... the birds will gobble at something... crows, geese, each other, car horns... no matter how bad you think you sound. I have heard quite a few attrocious sounding hens in my life... but the gobblers go nuts over the real thing.... plenty of theories on what makes them do it... pitch, frequency... who knows.... if you figure it out.. bottle it... I'll buy it!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know most don't care what happens on the other side of the river but they are the same in Ontario too.

I find less calling to be a better approach ...
Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
I hunt in Sussex, VA and we have had great gobbling all spring.... probably just jinx myself for tmw.
Update:

Had one gobbling in the tree this morning. He hit the ground gobbled twice going away and we never heard another sound.

Called that one didn't I...
Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Spike

here in northern ny it has been one of our best years yet, perfect weather and very responsive birds, gobbling like crazy!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Hunted Pa western Pa every day last week it was a strange week heard very very little gobbling but was uncommonly successful

Saturday nothing on the roost fired one bird up at 930 called him in father shot him

Monday-nothing on the roost called 1 in at 730 no shot then called 2 jakes in at 8 shot on of them

tuesday 1 gobble on the roost nothing after he hit the ground left by 8am went fishing

Wed not a gobble on the roost heard 1 at 830 long story short killed that bird at 10am after probably 50-75 gobbles over the course of an hour and a half

Thursday did not hear a gobble called 3 in silent friend shot one around 745 am

4 birds down by thursday

friday nothing on roost heard one about 8am think he was to close on the ground shut up when we tried to set up on him

Saturday not a gobble.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

They were gobbling this morning in Southern NY, had the bird I have been hunting gobbling on the roost and coming to me when he hit the ground. HE was on his way gobbling his head off and then yelp yelp yelp couldn't seal the deal thanks to a hen.

Moved to another spot where I know he likes to go and sat quietly for about a half an hour made a call nothing, another call GOBBLE, four Jakes came in to about 20 yards, and then hung in the field for about 40 minutes clucking to each other. Could have wasted anyone of them.

This bird is giving me fits, but we aren't done yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.