Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Got some sharp birds. Need some thoughts. >

Got some sharp birds. Need some thoughts.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Got some sharp birds. Need some thoughts.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Spike

Default Got some sharp birds. Need some thoughts.

There's two birds out on a farm I hunt and they have gotten sharp as a tack. They will gobble at everything but my call, I'm dumbfounded as I have never seen this. I've been using a Woodhaven and on opening day I called them both in but they got locked up on the other side of a fence and ever since then they have just got down right tough to kill. There's no predicting where they will be so still hunting is kind of tough of a couple hundred acre farm. Got any ideas or tips? I want revenge on these butt whooping turkeys.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Spike

use a differnet call or watch them for a day and see what they do and setup where they will be the next day
Old 04-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have called to much they may simply be call shy. Use a different call and change your cadence. And as has been said if you have them safely on your property give them a day off and scout them very carefully.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Sometimes they just don't gobble, I've had a turkey gobble once and than just shut up. Called for a little while, about a half hour after the one gobble hes standing 30 yards away.
surprised me a little but I got it. it was just a little Jake but its a good example.

One tip I can give you is to set up 20-80 yards behind your original set up to sound like the hen has lost interest and is walking away. 7 out of 10 times that works for me.
and sometimes it helps if you just move 20 yards at a time.