Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Afternoon turkey hunts... >

Afternoon turkey hunts...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Afternoon turkey hunts...

Old 04-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

I see more birds in the afternoon than I do in the mornings. We are only allowed to hunt in the evenings for the last two weeks of the season though.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have killed or called in for others, 4 nice Toms and a Jake my first Turkey from 12:30 to 6:15 p.m. The 4 mature birds all gobbled as well as the Jake. So it's worth a try,I yelped and clucked every time and had good response if they were any where near and without hens.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default what time

you won't kill a bird sitting in the truck or the tent. i go to hunt and if it takes all day, that's what i do, i am at over 30 birds and there is no rhyme or reason for the time of day. two days ago as i was leaving the area, i looked down to where i had a blind, it was one o'clock and two toms were strutting within easy bow shot of my blind, course i wasn't in it but there they were. i had already shot one from another blind and was headed home

cheers
Old 04-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

This season where I hunt, 12 gobblers were killed. Of these, 4 were killed in the afternoon. That is about what I have experienced over the decades as far as ratio ... about 2:1.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Here we can hunt 1/2 before and after sunset so I try to hunt all day or come back out at 3 pm most of my turkeys have been taken after 3pm between the strut area and the roost. Gobblers can get lonely from about 9 to roost looking for hens so I say "no turkeys in my truck ( except me) why not be where they will be". If they don't have a hen in the afternoon it can all happen fast.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies.. Day beore yesreday I was out in the afternoon and heard some gobbles far off. I called about once every 20 min to 1/2hr. yelps and clucks, but didn't actually get a gobble back. Only heard them a couple times and then they went quiet. Never seen any birds. Haven't heard any in the mornings yet. They are not roosting on the preoperty I hunt. The landowner knows their movements pretty well and says the make about a 2 mile circle roosting in one spot for a couple nights then moving to a new roosts etc. He says it takes about 4-5 days for for this particular group of birds (30-40) to make their return. Season is short here, so I hope I can get the drop on them when they finally make it back. Appartently the birds around this area do not stay in one place for very long.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default movement

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
Thanks for the replies.. Day beore yesreday I was out in the afternoon and heard some gobbles far off. I called about once every 20 min to 1/2hr. yelps and clucks, but didn't actually get a gobble back. Only heard them a couple times and then they went quiet. Never seen any birds. Haven't heard any in the mornings yet. They are not roosting on the preoperty I hunt. The landowner knows their movements pretty well and says the make about a 2 mile circle roosting in one spot for a couple nights then moving to a new roosts etc. He says it takes about 4-5 days for for this particular group of birds (30-40) to make their return. Season is short here, so I hope I can get the drop on them when they finally make it back. Appartently the birds around this area do not stay in one place for very long.
for the most part, w. kansas turkey roam a great deal, over several miles at least, the other day as i was leaving the area i looked down where my blind is and there were two toms strutting, time was 12:30. i wasn't in it but there they were

cheers