Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
How do you set up your decoys? >

How do you set up your decoys?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How do you set up your decoys?

Old 04-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default How do you set up your decoys?

I Don't always use decoys but when I do I use One upright Jake and two upright hens by flambeu I think.

I put one hen and the Jake 4 feet apart and put the second hen close to the first hen.
I have never seen a turkey not like this setup, I've had Toms, Jake's and hens run right up to them.

What decoys do you use and how do you set them up?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jake and hen on the ground in submissive position..
Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

One up right hen only.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like to stick a stake in the ground first to set them on.. (jk) lol

I like using my strutting pretty boy with a couple of hens, that normally works for me. I also like to put real tail feathers in it.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Cherokee sports inflatables. Normall a hen or two. Or sometimes ill throw the jake in the mix
Old 04-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

We set up the same decoy set two days in a row. Struttin Jake and four hens first day we did a double header and second day a big tom plus the flock all over us. I missed but scoutin and location are my bet over set up!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default decoys

don't think that most days that decoys mount to a hill of beans and as often as not make the birds jumpy. surely there is a place for them especially if you are a manufacture of them. with a shot gun that will shoot nearly 60 yds. today, if you think you have to use them put them anyplace, if bow hunting maybe close. i am turning away from them more and more and i have shot a bunch of birds

cheers
Old 05-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Spike

I don't use decoys much, but when I do, I place the jake facing me and hens facing away. This is because a gobbler will approach a hen from the rear, and a jake face-to-face.

Several years ago, I had a gobbler fly over our decoys and landed 20 yards past them. Upon landing, he went into a strut, and walked past the hen and faced the jake. He was still in full strut. After standing there a few seconds, he jumped up and kicked the decoy. It was one of the foam shell type decoys, and it flew probably 10 feet up in the air. The gobbler jumped to the side, and started walking away sideways, looking at the stake the decoy had been on. When he got 5 feet from the decoy stake, I shot him. One of the funnest hunts I've been on.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

I use one hen decoy normally and my B-Mobile...
Old 05-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Spike

B-mobile with a real tail (repainted his head though, did't like the original) and usually a few hens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.