Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
How do you set up your decoys? >

How do you set up your decoys?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How do you set up your decoys?

Old 05-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

WHEN I use them, which isn't as often any more, I have started to put them 40 yards behind me, or beyond where the bird is coming from.

I have noticed the last three or four years a trend towards turkeys drawing a hard line with a decoy at 80 yards. They will stand and gobble and will not come a foot closer. My solution.... sit on the 40 yard line.

Any of you old duck hunters remember when Mojo's and Air Lucky Ducks first came out about '97? I remember sitting in a hole in Cohoke Marsh on the Paumunky River with a single Mojo and shooting three and four man limits of mallard and black ducks every single hunt. We stopped using any other decoys and only called when we felt like it. Wasn't even fair. Go try that out today and let me know how it works out for you..... so many people use them from Canada to Mexico that after they make it south of the Canadian border they flare more birds than they attract. At least a couple of generations of natural selection has occured since '97 (even considering I have killed 12+ year old mallard ducks... dated by leg bands).... the birds get smarter... and I think the faster our technology develops, the faster they get smarter. Turkeys... no different. Somebody will patent one with a pulse that runs on oxygen before long.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

This spring I out a single cheap foam jake. Worked great. The big tom came in silent them furiously attacked it.... I would have put a hen out also, but my brother-in-law took his decoys back last fall and the foam jake was the only one I could find in a store in time to hunt, Glad I bought it.. $15
Old 05-14-2013, 03:04 AM
Spike

Fake following a hen and I put them out at about 15 to 20 yards away from me.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Spike

Cherokee sports inflatables. Feeding hen and a jake right behind her.