Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
How to get the tom off the roost? >

How to get the tom off the roost?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How to get the tom off the roost?

Old 04-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Next time you may want to try a an owl or crow call to locate, get in fairly close, then wait. After fly down, mimic your own wing flaps, then hit your fly down call, and shut up for 15 minutes. He'll know where she is, and head on in if he's interested

Learning is 1/2 the fun
Old 04-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BIG DONNIE BRASCO
Next time you may want to try a an owl or crow call to locate, get in fairly close, then wait. After fly down, mimic your own wing flaps, then hit your fly down call, and shut up for 15 minutes. He'll know where she is, and head on in if he's interested

Learning is 1/2 the fun
I agree with the others that you moved in too close and moved way too soon. He was watching you. I don't think he thought you were a hen coming to him. He had you spotted at 70 yards unless the leaves were wet and the cover was thick or he was over a hill. If he didn't hear your footsteps or see you move in and place your decoy, you were as close as you needed to be at 70.

I think the quoted advice above is the best of the bunch. Unless he had hens with him that would have possibly taken him in another direction, he was yours until you moved. That is provided he didn't watch you set up.

Have you tried locating roosted birds the evening before a hunt? You will know where they are for the next morning. Helps tremendously when deciding on where to set up first thing in the morning. Don't try to roost them at 70 yards from that area. Stay well back. Owl hoot works for this or a car door, train, siren, etc.

Patience is the toughest part of the turkey hunting game. They have all day to essentially go nowhere.

It is likely that bird or another one will be back and will roost in or near that tree again soon. You'll get another crack at it.

Right off the roost is probably my favorite way to fill a tag. Fly down in your lap type of stuff.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Patience is the toughest part of the turkey hunting game.
You can say THAT again !!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Spike

just wait like he said paience is the nnumber one thing besides sitting still
Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Spike

How come no one has suggested a Remington 870 with no. 5 Hevi shot?
Just askin...
Old 04-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Spike

illegal to shoot off roost. much more fun to have them come in to. anyone can go drop a turkey off the roost
Old 04-18-2013, 03:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

illegal to shoot off roost.
Not in every state. To each his own if it's legal in yours.

When I started hunting made the same mistake. Got one to gobble moved in hunted for a couple hours got up to leave bird flew out of a tree about 50 yards behind me. Some good advice has been given.

Blue grass Man, Have you read the stuff at the top of the page? If you haven't check this out. It may help.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/spec...ing-birds.html
Old 04-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Shoot him that will get him out!
lol just joking I had the same issue one time and the farmers cow mooed and he came out so try and make something different ya never know.
I have always wondered what that Tom was going to do with that cow
Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by outdooraddict
How come no one has suggested a Remington 870 with no. 5 Hevi shot?
Just askin...
That was joke, but thanks for playin
Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Charlie P
Not in every state. To each his own if it's legal in yours.

When I started hunting made the same mistake. Got one to gobble moved in hunted for a couple hours got up to leave bird flew out of a tree about 50 yards behind me. Some good advice has been given.

Blue grass Man, Have you read the stuff at the top of the page? If you haven't check this out. It may help.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/spec...ing-birds.html
I have read everything people have posted, and appreciate it very much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.