Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
How to get the tom off the roost? >

How to get the tom off the roost?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How to get the tom off the roost?

Old 04-15-2013, 04:27 AM
Spike

Default How to get the tom off the roost?

Opening day, cool morning, clear skies couldn't ask for more from God for a day of turkey hunting.
Went to a site and hit the call. I got a response about 70 yards away from me and moved a little closer. Sat down and hit the call again another answer and he is right there to my left. I couldn't see him but I thought I was right under him.
I called, he answered...paused...called again and he answered so I waited, and waited, and waited...for almost an hour. Still no sign of ole tom. Decided to sneak around and see what's up. Hit the call again and he answered. I peaked up and I was busted.
Cluck, cluck and he's flying. He was still on the roost after sun up.
How to get a boy down for the killing?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

Was it a foggy morning at all before it cleared up? Sometimes that will keep em on the roost. Sounds more like to me it was because you were calling to him on the roost. I know some people do give a tree yelp once and then be quiet but I dont even do that. I never and I mean never call to a bird on the roost. It will work against you more times than it will help you.Sounds like that Tom heard you calling and kept waiting for that hen to show up under his tree and it never did. Just my opinion but do not like to call to a bird on the roost except maybe once at the absolute most. Think maybe you were calling a little too much and he was just hanging out waiting for the hen to show.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:38 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Thunderchicken217
Was it a foggy morning at all before it cleared up? Sometimes that will keep em on the roost. Sounds more like to me it was because you were calling to him on the roost. I know some people do give a tree yelp once and then be quiet but I dont even do that. I never and I mean never call to a bird on the roost. It will work against you more times than it will help you.Sounds like that Tom heard you calling and kept waiting for that hen to show up under his tree and it never did. Just my opinion but do not like to call to a bird on the roost except maybe once at the absolute most. Think maybe you were calling a little too much and he was just hanging out waiting for the hen to show.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know he was on the roost until I was busted. It was a clear day, no fog.
I will remember that the next time.
Also, do you think if he spotted the decoy, he was that close, he would hang up on the roost?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

No. If he had spotted the decoy I believe that would have been in your favor and might have brought him down. He probably didn't see it and was waiting to see something after hearing a hen.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:08 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Thunderchicken217
No. If he had spotted the decoy I believe that would have been in your favor and might have brought him down. He probably didn't see it and was waiting to see something after hearing a hen.
Thanks again for the advice.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Spike

Visual conformation is a must for roosted birds.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you were right under him, he probably knew you were there, sat tight and flew off to avoid becoming your dinner when you moved. You probably should have stayed at 70 yards, he knew where you were (thinking you were a hen) and he might have flown down your way instead of off to wherever.

Last edited by RIStrutStopper; 04-15-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by RIStrutStopper
If you were right under him, he probably knew you were there, sat tight and flew off to avoid becoming your dinner when you moved. You probably should have stayed at 70 yards, he knew where you were (thinking you were a hen) and he might have flown down your way instead of off to wherever.
Thank you for your time. I am soaking all of this information in and will remember the next time.
I have never been with an experienced hunter before, but I am learning thanks to you guys.
Yes, it was more of a put, put than a cluck, cluck.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

The gobbler was waiting on the hen to come to him under that tree or near abouts. He was watiing to get a visual on the hen ( remember that the natural thing is for the hen to come to the gobbler). A few soft yelps and a purr when you first heard him and then wait for him to fly down. If he didn't see the hen that was calling he most likely would have flown down and sought her out. I have watched gobblers on the roost well after flydown time because they thought the hen was coming to them. Alot of times the gobblers hormones will get him inquistitive enough to fly down and check her out. I don't call alot to a roosted gobbler because they seem to stay in that tree longer than usual or worst yet fly off in another direction because they sense that something is wrong with a hen that keeps calling alot and doesn't show up. Try soft yelps and maybe a purr to a roosted gobbler and wait him out. It is better than getting busted.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rritchey sr.
The gobbler was waiting on the hen to come to him under that tree or near abouts. He was watiing to get a visual on the hen ( remember that the natural thing is for the hen to come to the gobbler). A few soft yelps and a purr when you first heard him and then wait for him to fly down. If he didn't see the hen that was calling he most likely would have flown down and sought her out. I have watched gobblers on the roost well after flydown time because they thought the hen was coming to them. Alot of times the gobblers hormones will get him inquistitive enough to fly down and check her out. I don't call alot to a roosted gobbler because they seem to stay in that tree longer than usual or worst yet fly off in another direction because they sense that something is wrong with a hen that keeps calling alot and doesn't show up. Try soft yelps and maybe a purr to a roosted gobbler and wait him out. It is better than getting busted.
Thanks. A lot of good information I really appreciate this.

Take care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.