Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
keeping hunters out of your private land hunting spot >

keeping hunters out of your private land hunting spot

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

keeping hunters out of your private land hunting spot

Old 03-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

if you wanna do it the right way just call the game warden. Let them handle it. It saves you much trouble and time. But you will def need some kind of proof to make it easier for everyone. So set up a trail cam somewhere or hideout and snap a few pics or something. Make sure you lock your trail cam to the tree caus if they do see it and then they try to take it caus their face is on there they wont be able to and they are screwed! haha. but showing your face around the property as much as you can even though it is a drain on your personal time, that's what you gotta do. I own two pieces of property and deal with people all the time sneaking on it. I try to go to my land as often as possible and it def helps a lot. I see them less and less. I like to just handle things myself, if I gotta set up some redneck traps or put nail boards on ground for the atv tires then that's what I gotta do. I don't like to cause harm or be a ******* but trespassing is just one thing that I cant stand. As a hunter and even as an quad rider I respect every piece of land I step foot on. But there is a point where even after arguing, fighting, setting traps, calling the game warden and all that mess, that you just gotta realize you will prob not be able to always keep people off your land. It sucks but ya know if someone wants to get in there, they will no matter what. I would say get your proof and get ahold of the game warden. smartest, easiest way to help slow the people down and maybe even get rid of them for good. just be prepared for maybe a little retaliation caus sometimes that's how it is. on my one property I have been arguing, fist fighting, and goin back and forth with the neighboring land owner for years. It has just become a routine anymore ha ha.and I always keep a tax map of my property on hand in my truck just to show anyone if you ever need to. good luck though.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never ending job !
Old 03-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a lot more interested in keeping them out of my public land hunting spot !

I guess ya hunt more remote locations...that's a pretty reliable method....
Old 03-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

you could setup bear traps where you think there comin in lol
Old 03-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cammogunner
you could setup bear traps where you think there comin in lol
Old 03-11-2014, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
Never ending job !
Ditto!!! You can't stop them from hunting right on the line of your property either, since turkeys can't read posted signs!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Besides posting with signs....paint blue paint on the trees on your property line. In my survey line of work --- the color blue --- signifies property line.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

In this state up here you have to post every 50 feet.. They did come up with a break threw for the large land owners that allows them to use to silver rings painted around the trees. The rings represent signs which can be costly just to have some mindless fool tear them down on them. They also will lay some heavey fines when they catch them that includes their right to hunt for a year taken away from them on the first offense. So i would do what others have suggested. Try and get some proof and get them busted for it..

This does not affect my hunting areas as I hunt on privately owned paper company lands that are opened to the public.. One such area last year was gated for miles and as I drove up threw the road crew asked me how I got in. They informed the dirt road was closed until next week. I told them how I drove threw and said I was willing to leave as I had no idea.. They said it was alright to stay in there for today and that gate will be getting locked after I left..

Now get this part.. The darn road crew had 2 in the cab and 2 on back with chairs and shotguns. This was witnessed by myself and 2 other vehicles that came threw the same way I did. I called and made a report on that one.. Guess what the road was all graded up when they opened the gate up the following Monday. Normally they are grading when they open the road up.. So I guess I stumble onto something and the company must have put a stop to it.. I will be walking up threw part of that area this year as well and setting up for a large tom if he will show himself again.. I most likely will be carrying my camera along for a just in case moment..
Old 03-12-2014, 02:38 AM
Typical Buck

Voss signs has 100 signs for 100 bucks. And they are metal. Take a step ladder an put them up about 8-10 feet so they cant rip them down. Take an old trail camera an put it up about 15-20 feet an angle it down. They never look up.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:23 AM
JW
Super Moderator

In Wisconsin one does not need to post signs. It is up to the hunter to know where they can go and not go. The comment, "I didn't know I was tresspasing!" won't cut it and you will get a fine.

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.