Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
keeping hunters out of your private land hunting spot >

keeping hunters out of your private land hunting spot

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

keeping hunters out of your private land hunting spot

Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Spike

Arrow keeping hunters out of your private land hunting spot

any tips on how to keep other hunters out of your private hunting spot.their are posted signs up but they still come thier.any suggestions all are welcome
Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gobblehunter
any tips on how to keep other hunters out of your private hunting spot.their are posted signs up but they still come thier.any suggestions all are welcome
Call the game warden/conservation officer... get pictures if you can.

Once a few get popped in the area, they might not keep coming around.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
till folks develope some ethics, you have 2 choices, either hunt and deal with it, or patrol the place and catch them and possibly get shot in the process, the entitlement mentality is taking over.
have alot of folks tell me they wanna talk to my boss, they wanna ask about hunting a tract of land he owns, most say don't matter if he lets me, gonna hunt it anyway. its pretty sad.
RR
If it were me, I'd put up a "tresspassers will be shot on sight" sign.

Might deter a few.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:30 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Psylocide
If it were me, I'd put up a "tresspassers will be shot on sight" sign.

Might deter a few.
Totally wrong move and anyone who gets hurt on that land with that signage - well open up your bank account, sell your home, shoot yoru dog and sell your guns! You are going to pay heavily!

For tresspassers - use some hidden trail cams, a picture is worth a 1,000 words, do post signs, and when you find a tresspasser, back out and go find how they got in there.
Then call the warden and or sheriff and give the description of the truck along with the license plate.

In my home state of WI you do not need to post your land. It is up to the hunter to KNOW where he is.....and is why when I do get permission on private I ask for dated written permission slip. That is in my back pocket and stops all arguments if I am approached being accused that I am tresspassing.
Because being approached like that - out comes my plat book map and my signed owner's permission slip, to which I show them I am here on the map and oh by the way Mr. Smith has singed my permission slip and then I ask where is yours?
Shuts them the heck up real quick.....
One other thing I always ask the onwers of the land if they have given permission to anyone else. So I know.....

But many still leave their ethics in the truck sad to say!

JW
Old 03-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

We have that problem a camp during turkey season. I actually have great fun with it. I hide my vehicle and go in way before light to set up well concealed near the road.I usually get 2 a morning.They drive their trucks real slow and I'll do some light calls..just to get a gobble. They stop get out and just as they climb over the ditch on to our land ...I call out...hey dumb a$$ how's about I have you arrested.. their reaction and scrambling back over the ditch and to their trucks.... so worth not getting a bird first thing.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by LBADG
We have that problem a camp during turkey season. I actually have great fun with it. I hide my vehicle and go in way before light to set up well concealed near the road.I usually get 2 a morning.They drive their trucks real slow and I'll do some light calls..just to get a gobble. They stop get out and just as they climb over the ditch on to our land ...I call out...hey dumb a$$ how's about I have you arrested.. their reaction and scrambling back over the ditch and to their trucks.... so worth not getting a bird first thing.
i like it
Old 03-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Shoot a few and and hang them by the ankles for others to see. It works with crows.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by LBADG
Sounds good to me!
Old 03-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's impossible. If somebody wants in they will get in. If they want to hunt your birds they'll hunt your birds. Just like if somebody wants to kick in your front door and steal everything you have while you're at work they will figure out a way to do it and get away with it. Best thing to do is try to be there at unpredictable times or give a key to a buddy or two so you can have more people frequenting the land. I don't call the game warden anymore because you can't trust them either.....at least not in my parts. I used to worry about people on my land all the time, but now I just have way more important things to concern myself with and I just try to enjoy my land as much as I can when I get to go. Good luck, and don't get yourself in trouble.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can try removing you're posted --- no trespass signs --- because some poacher's only prefer too illegally trespass on land that is posted.
It's like some house robbery burglars, who prefer to rob houses that have alarm break-in signs in front of the house, figuring that something must be valuable inside.

If not...I would at least post the land at 50' intervals, about 10 to 12 feet high on tree's; if possible. Initial the sign as a certain gun/game hunting club, so the trespasser's know that the land is frequented by a mob of hunter's --- out for blood & a good time --- during hunting season.

If you see their vehicles...leave a note on the vehicle telling them you have the license number of the vehicle, and that you are going to call the police for trespassing.

Some game wardens --- like in Pennsylvania --- are afraid to arrest poacher's/trespasser's, because of suspicion that the poacher's will burn the wardens home resident house; down to the ground.

Last edited by Erno86; 03-08-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added a couple of words

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.