Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
When You're Hot, You're Hot! >

When You're Hot, You're Hot!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

When You're Hot, You're Hot!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default When You're Hot, You're Hot!

My good bud bagged another nice gobbler Sunday morning. Number 3 for him. He had a fine weekend. Called up one for a first timer Saturday morning. Really nice Eastern ... 1" spurs, 11" beard, 21 #. His Sunday gobbler was a year or so younger ... 1/2' spurs that were curled sideways (?), 9" beard and 17#.

I stumbled into to one as well Saturday morning. Man they were some kind of vocal. Bagged mine at around 08:30. I got lucky and was able to call up a hen that eased in front and around in back of me where she hooked up with a second hen. They did all the calling ! I guess that there were some hens in there trying to group up. I could see the gobbler below me at about 75 yards strutting like crazy. He'd gobble his brains off everytime the hens yelped. I guess he finally got frustrated and eased up the hill to get to them. Big mistake. He was a decent one 3/4" spurs, 10 1/2" beard and 19#.

We are having the best season we have ever had at our place since I started hunting there 12 seasons back. In my opinion it is due to the terrific improvement in habitat. A great deal of the planted pines have been thinned and control burned these past 2 years and that has made a huge improvement.

So far we collectively have killed 9 good gobblers of which 2 are very good ones and we also have bagged a bearded hen.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mojotex
My good bud bagged another nice gobbler Sunday morning. Number 3 for him. He had a fine weekend. Called up one for a first timer Saturday morning. Really nice Eastern ... 1" spurs, 11" beard, 21 #. His Sunday gobbler was a year or so younger ... 1/2' spurs that were curled sideways (?), 9" beard and 17#.

I stumbled into to one as well Saturday morning. Man they were some kind of vocal. Bagged mine at around 08:30. I got lucky and was able to call up a hen that eased in front and around in back of me where she hooked up with a second hen. They did all the calling ! I guess that there were some hens in there trying to group up. I could see the gobbler below me at about 75 yards strutting like crazy. He'd gobble his brains off everytime the hens yelped. I guess he finally got frustrated and eased up the hill to get to them. Big mistake. He was a decent one 3/4" spurs, 10 1/2" beard and 19#.

We are having the best season we have ever had at our place since I started hunting there 12 seasons back. In my opinion it is due to the terrific improvement in habitat. A great deal of the planted pines have been thinned and control burned these past 2 years and that has made a huge improvement.

So far we collectively have killed 9 good gobblers of which 2 are very good ones and we also have bagged a bearded hen.
Your buddy wouldn't happen to be named Josh would he?