Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Success stories---anyone >

Success stories---anyone

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Success stories---anyone

Old 04-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default jake

got kidded about using my 14 ga. as it was too much gun and i ought to use something smaller if i wanted to brag. well, shot a jake with my .410 at 11 steps, just gotta get closes guys. the guy probably didn't have a clue on the 14 ga. anyway. just did it

cheers
Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

I was able to take a decent bird last Saturday in Pennsylvania. Although I currently live in Ohio I bought a nice property near my PA home town last year. It is 91 acres total with about 85 of those being a mix of mature hardwoods and eastern hemlock. I had been hearing a bird on the weekends all spring from my back porch right at daybreak and he was always on the same ridge point. I camped out near that spot on Friday evening and waited for him to either fly up or sound off. I was not close enough to hear him go to roost but I did hear him gobble twice on the roost. I was back in the same spot by 5:30 AM on Saturday morning. Sure enough he started gobbling just before daylight at anything and everything, especially another bird that was about half a mile away on the far side of the river. I was not able to call him off the roost and he spent the next hour strutting back and forth on a gas pipeline about 150 yards from my setup. When he moved off the point of the ridge and out of sight I made my move. I was able to setup within about 40 yards of the point. I made two strings of yelps on a slate and he hammered both calls. I swear the trees shook he was so loud. It seemed like forever but it was maybe five minutes before he came into sight and I dropped him at 30 yards with one shot from my Browning Gold 3 1/2 using Winchester 3 1/2" Hi-Velocity No. 5 shot. This was my first shot fired at a bird with the new Sightmark Ultra Shot reflex sight. I stopped counting dead birds years ago but this ranked right up there on the excitement scale. I had back surgery a few weeks ago so this was an especially gratifying hunt. He had a 7 1/2" beard and 1" spurs.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

Killed this lad first weekend of the Missouri season. He didn't start gobbling till 7am. My wife was hunting with her best friend set up on a little green field with 2 birds just hammering. I didn't want to mess either one of the girls up so my best friens and i took off on a hike to try and find a gobbler that wanted to play. This guy gobbled on his own for a while so i figured he was by himself. When i set up on him he wa on the opposite ridge, thought i had to re-setup but deceided to wait him out. He was about 140 yards away when i set up on him, got him double gobbling and then shut up on him for a couple minutes. He never gobbled for the time I didn't call so I checked him. He was 70 yards up on top of the hill strutting my way. He crossed the holler and came up on my side strutting. He was cornering away so I called and he seen the decoy, blowed up and came straight to me. He got about 40 yards a nd I think he seen my buddy, he didn't get a chance to get behind the tree, came out of strut and got hicky on us. Wing tucking and starting to leave my buddy says shoot. I have a dead tree in front of me and can't shoot. He goes on down the hill i called to him, he turned and gobbled back at my decoy but still wanted to walk away. He turned and that was all I could stand, I let him have it and the high fives started. First time me and my buddy have got to kill together, it was an awsome hunt. Bird weighed only 17 lbs. had a 9" and a 4" beards and 1" spurs. good ole 2 year old.
Attached Thumbnails Success stories---anyone-image.jpg   Success stories---anyone-image-8.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Spike

Wow guys, bird #3 for this Tennessee girl! What an EXCITING morning!!!

I left the house on my 4 wheeler around 6am this morning, it was hard to get up (I almost didn't) I was so tired! I got to the highest point and parked. I sat and listened... No gobbles. I decided to try for that big Gobbler I've been after so I got off the four wheeler and headed into the woods. I sat down in the exact spot I was when I killed my Jake bird and made a series of soft yelps with my slate call. Immediately two birds HAMMERED just down the ridge from me, I'd say 75yds or so. I repositioned myself toward the way I thought they would travel, by this time it was probably around 630. I made another set of soft yelps with a pause and then started soft and added a short cackles and then toned it back down. Both birds double hammered and I knew they were interested! I waited a few more minutes and started cutting with a few purrs here and there, again they both double hammered and they were closer. A few more sets of cutts, purrs, and soft yelps and I knew they were ready to be within sight and killing range. I put down my call and got my gun ready. It wasn't a minute (felt like forever!) before I saw the first bird. He was 35 yds but he knew something was up a putted twice so I immediately sighted on his head and pulled the trigger. To my surprise... He flew away...the shells I am using were given to me and I'm not sure how old they are but apparently that one was a dud because the first one I used killed my Jake bird. The other gobbler putted all the way down the ridge so I tried an excited cackle to try and make him think the hen was still there. Again, to my surprise, he gobbled at me! LONG story short, I worked and worked that bird but he was just too spooked to come within range. I snuck down behind a row of laurels and waited for about 30 minutes and spotted another gobbler making his way towards the field. It was probably around 930 at this point. I took the long way around and positioned myself at the corner of the field. I heard something and looked to my right and there were two Gobblers beating the daylight out of each other, man what a sight! I made some soft yelps and one gobbler chased the other off and headed straight for me, gobbling every breath! He got quiet around 40yds away I lost sight of him and then heard the dreaded putt to my left in the field. He had snuck up on me. So yet again I made the excited cackles (that's what I call em) and he hammered every time. Another surprising thing happened... He started coming back. This time I knew where to look and had my gun ready. He started putting before I could even see him but he still popped into view and turned to leave but that's when I put my sights on his head and lowered the boom! He dropped and my heart exploded! I ran to him and after he was done flopping started to check him out. He was the one I have been after! It was a LONG, STEEP walk back to the 4wheeler but I finally made it home. I measured his beard and its 11" long! His spurs were kinda short though, only 3/4" and he weighed 20#. I think I'm REALLY hooked on turkey hunting after this morning, the other 2 Gobblers were STILL gobbling when I left! Too bad we're only allowed 1 per day lol! My first Turkey Season is going WONDERFUL! Only 1 more tag left and season ends Sunday, but I'm tickled even if I don't get anymore

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 05-22-2013, 03:07 AM
Fork Horn

Well, it's been a great season that wrapped up for me on May 15th.

First two Toms this year were New Mexico Merriams, after
dreaming about that white fan all winter there is nothing
that gets my heart beating faster than actually seeing
one come over the top of a hill at about 65 yards with not
a twig in between us. That bird with down at 46 yards.
My other NM bird was much closer more like 25 yards.
Colorado didn't work out as well a lot of wind and snow
to send us dashing out of the high country on our last day
to hunt. Played with one bird there that hung up at about
100 yards and then suddenly remembered he had a prior
commitment on the other side of the mountain. Wyoming
was fun another nice Tom Merriam that took a long time
to come in from at least 1/2 mile out, this one I watch
strut back and forth at 34 yards behind some brush down
in a creek bottom for 5 minutes before he finally stuck
his head up in an open enough spot so I was sure the
shot would do the trick. Back in Maine I took a nice
Tom on day one in a power line after watching him strut
for 1 1/2 hours with 4 hens , called the hens in and he
came along behind, another 34 yard shot. My last
Tom of the year came on May 15th, after spending 7 mornings
chasing a frustrating Tom that would gobble to my calls
but not commit to the last few yards ( he was within 60-75
yards twice ) I needed for a shot, I decided to try another
bird that I played with some last spring. This time when I set
up and started calling a hen got excited and started talking
back to me and I was between the hen and the Tom---
talk about perfect ( luck ) anyway within ten minutes he was standing in front of me at 40 yards. He had 1 inch worn
down , rounded off spurs and a 13 1/2 inch beard my best
and last bird of a great season.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Well my brother and sisters of the turkey hunting world I don't know about you all but I was blessed with just an awesome spring this year. And no I did not harvest a bird myself, but did call in 21 birds this spring in PA. I had gotten hurt at work and had to have two surgeries this spring, First was tommy johns surgery for a nerve injury in my arm which in turn they found a tumor inside my bone in my arm. So anyway I got to sit under a lot of trees this spring and call and video for others. I had a changed outlook on what was really going on this spring again. I couldn't get over how blessed I was with the area and the beauty of the country that I was getting to hunt. God did an awesome job with our outdoor scenery adn I gave many thanks for that. I did call in a buddy's first ever longbeard which he was able to harvest at 8 yards on video. Had three of them in and made them gobble at 12 yards making him almost jump out of his skin. When I can type alot more I will share my stories of spring with you. I am trying to stop by here more. Some may know me and I am sure there are alot of new names on here. But like I used to say " My name is Pat and I am a turkaholic, I am on the 12 step program 12 steps from the end of my muzzle". I hope that everyone had a safe and prosperous season.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

Pat,

Congratulations, sounds to me like you had a great
Spring in the Turkey woods---that's one twelve step
Program I hope you never complete. But then
They say " once a turkeyholic always a turkeyholic".
Best of luck with surgery recovery.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got this bird on the opening morning of the spring season in VA. We were hunting one of the local military bases and found him with an owl hoot just before dawn. My buddy did the calling and I did the shooting. I guess you could call it a team effort. The shot was about 20 yards and the gobbler was flopping in the leaves when the season was less than 30 minutes old.

He was just a whisker under 20 lbs with an 11 inch beard and 1 1/2 inch spurs. This was my first spring gobbler. I've taken a couple with a rifle in the fall season while deer hunting (legal in my area) but this is the first one I've seen called in.
Attached Thumbnails Success stories---anyone-2013-va-spring-gobbler.jpg  
Old 11-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Spike

Some great turkey pics here. Enjoy guys!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:05 AM
Spike

Got this one a couple of weeks ago I hope the pic posts.

Hen, big one. Cooked up the legs and had some tonight, ended up with about 2 lbs. of meat left over. Was very good, probably will save the breast for thanksgiving. Funny thing, I wasn’t turkey hunting, I drove up to the gas well area to go squirrel hunting and parked the truck and was taking a leak when about 20 birds walked across the road about 60 yds. away. I hadn’t even opened the rear door to get my hunting stuff out yet. So I let them walk into the woods then loaded up and flanked them. They never saw me. I picked out the biggest bird and made an 80 yd. shot. She dropped like a stone. I was afraid the ballistic tip bullet would ruin a bunch of meat but not so. The bullet entered right in the crop and exited through the wing joint, virtually a perfect shot. Love that .22 magnum over 20 ga.
Attached Thumbnails Success stories---anyone-turkey-2.jpg  

Last edited by captaincapsize; 11-30-2013 at 04:12 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.