Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Success stories---anyone >

Success stories---anyone

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Success stories---anyone

Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by dadnsonhunt4ever
I haven't heard a gobble all season
all thow I called two cobblers up the second day of season and took one
its been a cold season for Alabama

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
great story and congratulations
very nice bird your pics turn out great

Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

dadnsonhunt4ever,

Sorry to hear it's been a slow start in Alabama, at least
you have some meat for the table. Still a patch of
snow in my backyard---so things could be worst.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Spike

Hey guys, the good LORD blessed me tonight with a double! I'll try and give some good details for the ones of you that season hasn't started yet. I first hunted on opening weekend in the low state on March 15th. I went down to call for a friend who is doing his bow slam, and heard zero gobbles or saw any birds from the blind. One guy killed a bird, but that was it. Plenty of birds sighted while driving around, but all grouped up. So next is the last Saturday in March,youth day. I had a dynamite spot scouted out for a buddies son on their hunt club. We get there extra early and surprise surprise, someone is there first and that's the spot they want to sit. He has a big strutter come in with hens at the far end of the food plot and won't let his grandson shoot that far with his 20 ga. I was going to set my youth up halfway down the small field and would have been a slam dunk within 35 yds. But, I'm glad the kid had a great hunt, but I'd of sure loved to got a youth that bird. So we head out again that afternoon and a bird gobbles right off the bat. I set the kid up, yelp yelp, gobble gobble, BOOOM!! A bearded hen with a rope walks over the hill first and he thought it was the gobbler. I couldn't see the bird from where I was, so I wasn't able to call him off. But, the kid was on cloud 9 and I was stoked he had a great hunt! I go out the very next morning (the day before our season starts for everyone in the upstate). I have a bird gobble 30+ times on the roost, but didn't hear him gobble until about 8. So I decide to roost him that night. Take my girlfriend with me (as I am wanting her to kill him on opening day). She isnt paying attention and has her mask pulled down. And undoubtedly a bird was near and heard us walk in and got curious. So as soon as we settle into a big cedar 150+ yards from the roost, a gobbler walks right to the tree from where we'd just walked and almost steps on us. He sees her face and spooks and flies off. The next morning, the only bird gobbling is a neighbors bird and I hear a BOOM!! So, now my season is shaping up unexpectedly, but I'm not complaining, I'm thankful to be out there. I dip out 2 days later early one afternoon to set up in a small field where they are known to be before going to roost. I walk in, set out a hen decoy and settle into my tree. I had been there maybe 2 minutes. I lastly stretch out my legs to be completely comfortable for the rest of the afternoon...FLAP FLAP FLAP...I look over and I had a gobbler coming 35 yards from me, right to my decoy already. Again, must of heard me walk in and come to look. This time saw my decoy and walked right in. Also note that I tried locating birds with a crow and/or peacock call and glass the fields very carefully before entering my farms. So I am not real happy by this point. I have been as slick as possible, or so I thought. Then I head out again Saturday and Sunday mornings. I have 10+ birds hammering on the roost and call birds to a ditch, that I was unaware of. I moved on the birds and set up again and guess who comes in, but 2 german shepards raising sand at the turkeys. Also note this is a new farm to me as of late deer season and am not yet familiar with every ditch, creek, fence on the property. So running into these aren't too fun. I thought I had them dead to rights, wrong again. Sunday morning, calling in a group of gobblers only to have them hang up with hens at 75 yards in the hardwoods and pass me on by. I thought I had them this time, then again still learning the turkeys and layout of the farm. So, if I still have your attention, here comes the good part. I head out to setup for an afternoon hunt yesterday. After hours of sitting, I plan to head home. I had left my girlfriend all afternoon and figure I'd better go home. As I am driving down the road, past my farm. I am staring at the fields, and all of the sudden I see a hen and a male bird. Unsure if its a gobbler or jake, due to all the cedars lining the field by the road. So I pull to the next gate and take off to cut him off. Hopefully it's a gobbler and I can call him in. As I am slipping through the cedars to set up on the upper field where he's headed, I spot 2 gobblers already there. And they are within 60 yards already. Due to the cedars and high grass surrounding the cut part of the field where I have for them to strut, plus my attention on the other bird, I fail to see them until the last minute. And their heads are up and alert at the noise coming. I stay still for about 2-3 minutes until they continue to feed around. I drop down and pop a call in my mouth. I cannot move any closer, I and sitting in the high grass between a few cedars. That's great, I'm plenty hidden. But if they approach I may be seen by the time they get in range. I give a few soft purrs and scratches in the leaves. They look and continue to feed. A few soft yelps and purrs and some more scratching , and one bird HAMMERS and blows up into full strut!! GAME ONN!! I stay silent as I see I have their full attention. As the casually make their way closer they gobble every few minutes and the one bust into strut several times. My attention is on the strutter, because I feel he is the dominant bird. He lets the other bird ease into the cedars 10 ft ahead of him. He walks in to 15 yds beside me and sticks his head up to look. I see a big fat beard, that's all I need! BOOOM!! He flops right there!! The other bird takes off to my left toward the bottom field. I use one of the cedars to slip 15 yards closer really fast as I excitedly yelp! Then in a split second I think to gobble on my mouth call, to make him think his buddy is still alive and in there with me. I'm standing 2 ft from my downed bird when I gobble! He HAMMERS right back at me and walks right back out in front of me! I lay the sight across the waddles...CLICK!!! No shell was put in behind my first shot by my automatic shotgun, so I quickly rack another one in really fast! The bird takes a few steps and sticks his head up one last time, BOOOM!! He flops right there!! I grab my first bird and head out to the second one laying in the field! I drop to my knees and say thanks to the good LORD for an amazing hunt!! I was so down and out at all these mishaps and go from zero to cloud 9 in just a few minutes!! As I head back to the gate, the original bird I spotted was still in the bottom field at full alert. He sees me coming and starts to get out of dodge, he slows down and eases into the cedars! I gobbled at him hoping he will think something other than all that danger. He probably will be stirred up for a bit, but hopefully he'll be in there for another exciting hunt!
Attached Thumbnails Success stories---anyone-chris-s-double.jpg  

Last edited by tankdogg60; 04-08-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Spike

Talking Finally got my 1st Turkey

After 2 unsuccessful western Oklahoma turkey hunting seasons, I finally bagged my first long beard today!

I spent last weekend and the entire day Saturday watching several hens walk by the blind and never saw a single tom. I went to bed hopeful that Sunday morning (today) would be different. Also, I thought I'd switch from the box call that I used all day Saturday to a slate call.

I'm no expert with slate call. In fact, I just bought it this week. So, this was my first hunt using it. After spending a little time Saturday night watching some videos on proper slate call technique, I got up early Sunday, grabbed my TenPoint crossbow and brand new flextone tramp stamp slate call and headed for the woods with new hope!

Sunday's hunt started out much the same as it did on Saturday. Hen after hen coming by, but no toms. However, I did notice that the hens really responded to the slate call. After a few hours I'm starting to think this day will end with no toms and I will go home empty handed, once again. Then, I look to my left and about 80 yards away I see two heads popping up and down in the prairie grass making their way towards me. I suspected it was 2 more hens. Then, the grass cleared and 2 toms, each with 8-9" beards, were running towards me. As the adrenaline started flowing, I reminded myself not to screw this up!

The toms were coming in fast, so I quickly, but quietly, prepared to shoot. They both suddenly stop just out of range and look my direction. I was worried that they saw me and I froze. I actually think I stopped breathing for a little while! Then, they started making their way towards me again. I steady the crossbow, put the biggest tom in my sights, and pulled the trigger.

The shot was in the breast and the turkey jumped, ran about 10 yards, laid down, and that was it.....I just harvested my first turkey! At this point, my heart is nearly jumping out of my chest.

Below are a few pictures from the hunt. The pocket knife in the second picture measures 8". This isn't a record setting turkey (not the reason I hunt anyway), but it's definitely one I'll remember forever!

Old 04-15-2013, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default rotten weather in kansas

3 of us shot 4 birds, got blown out, now snow and rain. my 14 ga. did the trick at 15 yards, get close guys

cheers
Attached Thumbnails Success stories---anyone-turkey-hunt-011.jpg   Success stories---anyone-turkey-hunt-018.jpg  
Old 04-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Lots of hard gobblin' birds on opening morning in southwest KY..... Late green up ,so moving on the birds proved difficult. But,we used the topography and mangaged to knock over 5 nice birds in two and a half days..... My first gobbler responded very little to my calling,but would'nt leave the four hens he was with,and I just set up where I knew they wanted to go....they drug him right by me! 21# with 3/4 inch spurs and a very heavy 11 inch beard.........
Old 04-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Spike

Success stories---anyone-photo-2-.jpg

Not too crazy of a story just had 5 jakes come by my deke and I took the shot. This is my first bird ever and only my second season of Turkey hunting. Needless to say, im quite excited.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Spike

Well I finally nailed my second bird ever, this time by myself!

Earlier, a couple weeks ago, I stumbled upon a Gobbler about 100 yds away and decided to try and get ahead of him. I did but too far ahead, he would not gobble at all and I had no idea where he was. I back tracked a little and came out of a laurel bush and made a few soft yelps. I didn't realize how steep the drop off was on the other side but within 30 seconds he popped over the ridge saw me and got out of dodge. I've been after that bird ever since, old gobbler with at least a 10" beard. Sat morning I ended up in the woods a little later than I would have liked. He was gobbling up a storm about 75 yds down the ridge from me. I eased in as quietly as possible but he just wouldn't break from those hens. He headed down onto posted land so I decided to set up closely in hopes they may make their way back since I could still hear him. I'd cutt and yelp every once in a while and he'd gobble back, then I heard something to my right. Slowly looked over and it was another hunter. I was scared to move, alot of people around here shoot anything that moves so I just uttered a short 'hey' and he headed back out. I stood up to stretch my legs and then sat back down and called a couple more times. I heard something behind me and turned around, I couldn't see the backside so I got my gun ready hoping it was a turkey and not another hunter. Sure enough the bird popped his head up 10 yds away I immediately rose my gun but he turned and started flying away. I quickly took aim and fired, he dropped immediately from the air. I got up and ran to him and he was already done, never flopped. Turns out it wasn't the gobbler I was after, but a Jake. He never gobbled or anything. He had a 3 3/4" beard and 1/4" spurs. Some may not condone killing a Jake but this was the first bird I called in alone and he's sure gonna put some good meat on the table. Everything took me by surprise, happened so fast! Congrats to everyone who has downed a bird and good luck to those still trying, my first Turkey Season is turning out great! Tomorrow is my birthday so I'm going to get after that Gobbler again in the morning, I accidentally spooked him from the roost this morning... Hopefully I'll get a good birthday hunt

Old 04-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Spike

Well I finally nailed my second bird ever, this time by myself!

Earlier, a couple weeks ago, I stumbled upon a Gobbler about 100 yds away and decided to try and get ahead of him. I did but too far ahead, he would not gobble at all and I had no idea where he was. I back tracked a little and came out of a laurel bush and made a few soft yelps. I didn't realize how steep the drop off was on the other side but within 30 seconds he popped over the ridge saw me and got out of dodge. I've been after that bird ever since, old gobbler with at least a 10" beard. Sat morning I ended up in the woods a little later than I would have liked. He was gobbling up a storm about 75 yds down the ridge from me. I eased in as quietly as possible but he just wouldn't break from those hens. He headed down onto posted land so I decided to set up closely in hopes they may make their way back since I could still hear him. I'd cutt and yelp every once in a while and he'd gobble back, then I heard something to my right. Slowly looked over and it was another hunter. I was scared to move, alot of people around here shoot anything that moves so I just uttered a short 'hey' and he headed back out. I stood up to stretch my legs and then sat back down and called a couple more times. I heard something behind me and turned around, I couldn't see the backside so I got my gun ready hoping it was a turkey and not another hunter. Sure enough the bird popped his head up 10 yds away I immediately rose my gun but he turned and started flying away. I quickly took aim and fired, he dropped immediately from the air. I got up and ran to him and he was already done, never flopped. Turns out it wasn't the gobbler I was after, but a Jake. He never gobbled or anything. He had a 3 3/4" beard and 1/4" spurs. Some may not condone killing a Jake but this was the first bird I called in alone and he's sure gonna put some good meat on the table. Everything took me by surprise, happened so fast! Congrats to everyone who has downed a bird and good luck to those still trying, my first Turkey Season is turning out great! Tomorrow is my birthday so I'm going to get after that Gobbler again in the morning, I accidentally spooked him from the roost this morning... Hopefully I'll get a good birthday hunt

Old 04-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Spike

Sorry about the double post Idk what happened lol!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.