Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Call to let other hunters know you are there? >

Call to let other hunters know you are there?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Call to let other hunters know you are there?

Old 03-30-2013, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default universal call

how about carrying a plain ol' whistle, a dog type or whatever, a whistle used on dogs pheasant hunting does not bother pheasants, not likely to bother turkey, just might bother another hunter if he or she had any brains
Old 03-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rritchey sr.
One thing I don't understand is that a hunter would stalk a hen calling in the spring when they are hunting gobblers?!
Sometimes you have to hunt the hens to get the gobbler. You may have to call in the hens to get the gobbler. This is fine if you are on private property, but if you do this on public land, you are inviting trouble. To me it's easy to distinguish a caller from a real hen, but the problem lies with inexperienced hunters. Just be very careful when turkey hunting, especially on public land. Just like driving, hunt defensively.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JW
I think you guys are missing the point!

There will never be no universal I am here call or warning - nothing - Period!!!!

It is up to us as hunters to understand when and where and why......and then be safe and ethical about it!

It is just like a red Hexagon STOP sign you find on any Danergous Intersection.
The Shaoe is Universal to all of us as we know what S.T.O.P. means....but you still have some who coast to slow down, never really come to a stop and then turn right or left and Others who blow right thru it hardly given it a second glandce or a thought and then others who Pay Heed to what it means.
They come to a STOP and look both ways before proceeding.......so which one are you???

So wish what you want.........universal call won't ever happen! It is up to you to be safe out there and I'll say it again......DON'T LEAVE YOUR DARN ETHICS IN THE TRUCK!

JW

JW is 100% correct here. If I know someones there hunting Im going to move on. Now if someone comes in on me while Im working a bird, neither of us will kill that bird. I'll make sure they know Im there by telling them. I wont do it using a call or anything like that. It is our responsibilty as hunter to be safe and polite to each other.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a pretty difficult call when I'm hunting to alert others to my presence. It's tough to master (took me at least 8 months before I could make it sound right), but is invaluble in the field.

Basically, you cup your hands around your mouth, and exhale from your diaphram, which vibrates the vocal cords. Use your mouth to change the tone and pitch of the sounds.

What you're going for should sound something like this, "HEY! I'm RIGHT HERE! OVER HERE! DON'T SHOOT THIS WAY! THANKS BUDDY!"

I practice in my truck on my way to and from work, I've almost got it down pat.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Happened to me last year,got set up on a bird before dark. Working him toward us off a ridge above us,a guy riding down the road heard the gobble,pulls over comes at me and my buddy in a hurry,ran 2 Deer making a racket right up the ridge where the bird was. Flashed our lights at him,kept coming. He walked within 30 yards of us drove the bird away and did not even apologize when we stood up and said what's the deal man? He walked right behind us up the ridge and acted lik we did not exist. Morning over. My buddy who is not as forgiving as me wanted to follow him and ruin his day,but I said lets go,he ain't worth it. We both got great birds later on.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Psylocide
I use a pretty difficult call when I'm hunting to alert others to my presence. It's tough to master (took me at least 8 months before I could make it sound right), but is invaluble in the field.

Basically, you cup your hands around your mouth, and exhale from your diaphram, which vibrates the vocal cords. Use your mouth to change the tone and pitch of the sounds.

What you're going for should sound something like this, "HEY! I'm RIGHT HERE! OVER HERE! DON'T SHOOT THIS WAY! THANKS BUDDY!"

I practice in my truck on my way to and from work, I've almost got it down pat.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

. To me it's easy to distinguish a caller from a real hen, but the problem lies with inexperienced hunters.
Some of the worst calling I have ever heard was from real birds. I'd like to know how you do it, seriously. Been hunting birds for along time and have been fooled both ways thinking a guy was a real bird and a real bird was a guy moving in on me.

Not saying it happens a lot some most of the time it's easy to figure out.But I was with my son one morning and was laughing with him about how bad this guys calling was and how he shouldn't be stalking in on me like he was. Getting ready to stand up and yell to him when all the sudden here comes the hen that was making all the noise.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bornagain, I honestly think you could use an air raid siren and some guys would still move in on you.

JW, As far as moving on if you see another truck. How do you know which side of the road they are hunting on?

I would never intentionally interfere with someone else's hunt but if I left every time I saw another truck on the road I wouldn't get much hunting in.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Charlie P
Some of the worst calling I have ever heard was from real birds. I'd like to know how you do it, seriously. Been hunting birds for along time and have been fooled both ways thinking a guy was a real bird and a real bird was a guy moving in on me.

Not saying it happens a lot some most of the time it's easy to figure out.But I was with my son one morning and was laughing with him about how bad this guys calling was and how he shouldn't be stalking in on me like he was. Getting ready to stand up and yell to him when all the sudden here comes the hen that was making all the noise.
There is not really any method in distinguishing the two. I can just tell by the pitch and cadence. Sometimes it's simple to distinguish the two. Of course hunting on private land I don't normally run into this problem. I have also heard some crazy sounds made by real hens, but I knew they were real. There was one that almost fooled me. At first I thought there is no way this is a real hen. Then I thought there is no way this is a hunter. It just sounded too strange. I stayed put and sure enough it was a real hen.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can just tell by the pitch and cadence.
Ok almost all my mouth and friction calls have a little bit of a difference in pitch to them, and I know I can mimic a hens cadence exactly. Just wondered not trying to start an argument.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.