Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Call to let other hunters know you are there? >

Call to let other hunters know you are there?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Call to let other hunters know you are there?

Old 03-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Call to let other hunters know you are there?

My buddy and I have talked about this a lot. I wish the NWTF or just turkey hunters would come up with some type of call to let other hunters know that you are there and working a bird. If you hear this call you would know there is another hunter there and you should leave. Many times we have been working a bird, and had another hunter move in on us or would have gone after a bird but thought another hunter might be working that bird.

It could be a any thing like owl call, then crow, then owl. It could be a peacock, screaming hawk, coyote, buck grunt or goose call 3 times n a row.

It would make sense to have an easy call that anyone could do, like a locator call. If word got out and everyone used it, it would make it safer and less stressful, to know for sure its a person not a turkey. Not saying everyone that heard it and knew it was a person would respect that and leave, but we can hope.

What do you think about this, and possible call?

John
Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 PM
JW
Super Moderator

NWTF's Turkey Hunters' Code of Conduct

Take a look at our Turkey Hunters' Code of Conduct before hitting the spring woods. As a responsible turkey hunter, I will
  • not let peer pressure or the excitement of the hunt cloud my judgment;
  • learn and practice safe hunting techniques;
  • hunt the wild turkey fairly;
  • know the capabilities and limitations of my gun or bow and use it safely;
  • obey and support all wildlife laws and report all violations
  • respect the land and the landowner and always obtain permission before hunting;
  • avoid knowingly interfering with another hunter and respect the right of others to lawfully share the out-of-doors;
  • value the hunting experience and appreciate the beauty of the wild turkey;
  • positively identify my target as a legal bird and insist on a good shot; and share responsible turkey hunting with others and work for wild turkey conservation.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Trouble is b64 ~ the above I posted has always been there.
Many as of late leave these ehtics in the truck once their foot hits the ground.

I still move on if I see another truck and knowingly try not to interfere with other hunters. Always will. I still strive to get that bird as close as I can and have passed on more shots than you know.
And many need to learn the difference of a man calling or a hen calling......many can't tell the difference and this will cause trouble.
And I can't tell you the times I have had hunters stalk my decoys! So that is always a lookout for me!

Can't stresss it enough - Be safe out there!

JW
Old 03-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also be careful if they are moving in towards you. If they are headed straight towards you a big "hey don't shoot Im right in front of you!" before you move so you don't get shot at by accident. Yes I know you shouldn't shoot at movement but some people just don't get it.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

wish there was a universal call that would identify a hunter. I have been stalked more than once in sprng and fall season. it is a scarey situation to be stalked. One thing I don't understand is that a hunter would stalk a hen calling in the spring when they are hunting gobblers?! A good decoy setup could add to the excitement!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:23 AM
Fork Horn

Good idea, I suggest the goose call, there shouldn't
Be any geese on the ground in the Turkey woods
And you would think that would clue in all but the
Densest hunter that someone else is nearby.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:33 AM
Fork Horn

Your idea is a fantastic idea. I usually do a type of whistle to alert my buddies when they are walking up on me, or I on them. A standard sound to alert people yet not put game on alert. For now I'll stick with 2 quick whistles, which my freinds recognize.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by w123t
Good idea, I suggest the goose call, there shouldn't
Be any geese on the ground in the Turkey woods
And you would think that would clue in all but the
Densest hunter that someone else is nearby.
Good idea in theory, but not true in all parts of the country.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Most hunters will figure out a bird is being worked, a majority of those don't care, I had to give up hunting public land in va, because it seemed that every week while hunting, someone would either cut me off or shoot a bird in front of me.
Even on a couple occasions I would have guys walk past me while working a bird, make eye contact and set up in front of me.
When the day came that somewhere close by as a gobble came into view, a shot rang out, the brush beside me was riddled with shot and dirt flew in my face, I never went back.
RR
When he walked past he might have received a good 'ol fashioned cussin'. I KNOW when someone shot that close that I would have lost ALL my religion and told them in no uncertain terms my true feelings.

As for me I give three LOUD distinct yelps. I change the cadence and make sure that there is no doubt.

I have unknowingly set up on birds that another hunter was on. I didn't realize that I had gotten as close as I did until I could hear them calling. Terrible part is I did it twice to the same hunter.

The first time was all on me. I was not familiar with the territory and approached the bird from a different direction. I didn't realize how close it put me to the other hunter. The second time I had gotten in earlier and did not see a truck parked at the first road. I hunted another bird and ended up back on the bird from the first trip. The other guy had come in after me but didn't know I was there. He was already working the bird and I ended up within about 50 yards of the guy. When I realized it I stopped calling and waited for my chance to slip back out. Before I did though I gave him a "heads up" yelp, a call that wouldn't bump the bird but would also say "My bad!". Anyone that has turkey hunted enough knows the difference.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:43 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I think you guys are missing the point!

There will never be no universal I am here call or warning - nothing - Period!!!!

It is up to us as hunters to understand when and where and why......and then be safe and ethical about it!

It is just like a red Hexagon STOP sign you find on any Danergous Intersection.
The Shaoe is Universal to all of us as we know what S.T.O.P. means....but you still have some who coast to slow down, never really come to a stop and then turn right or left and Others who blow right thru it hardly given it a second glandce or a thought and then others who Pay Heed to what it means.
They come to a STOP and look both ways before proceeding.......so which one are you???

So wish what you want.........universal call won't ever happen! It is up to you to be safe out there and I'll say it again......DON'T LEAVE YOUR DARN ETHICS IN THE TRUCK!

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.