Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why turkey?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Spike

Default Why turkey?

Hi,
I've always wondered this as we have no birds in aus that we consider trophy animals so I'm keen to just see what the fuss is.
I think that they are definately cool looking birds but what is a "trophy bird"? is it their weight, length of tail feathers, beard etc.?

I'd love to smack one over one day and have it mounted just because they're so darn impressive but I wouldnt know what the difference between a good tom and an average one is if that makes sense?

SB
Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Any tom that you can coax to within shooting range is a trophy. Everyones idea of what a trophy is will probably differ. Good beard good spurs and a nice full fan do it for me. The only bird that i have a fan mount of was my first. 24# bird with 1 1/2 spurs and a double beard. One beard was 10 1/2, the other 9 3/4. Still a trophy to this day!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

If a Turkey could smell you they would be as close to impossible to hunt as you could get.Their hearing and Eye Sight is unbelievable.

Hunting the Gobble,come looking for the Lady calling,Gobble,Strut,Gobble.Just out of range,bugs are biting but you can't move,sweat running in your eyes.He looks,Strut,looks.Every nerve in your Body is begging this Bird to move.Finally he Struts within 30 yards,you wait until he comes out of Strut.You Cluck with your Mouth Call,he comes out of Strut,your Bead is on his Neck,squezze the Trigger,you don't notice the kick of the Gun,the Bird is Flopping.Then all is still,nerves have been released,you have beat the King of Spring.

big rockpile
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Spike

so its a bit of everything mixed with a very smart bird sort of thing that makes the trophy?
Are they hard to put down or not too bad?

Got any pics of him TB?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Wish i did! Ill grab some pics tomorow of the mount....if i remember!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:59 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that any mature Tom is a trophy in my book.

There is an official way that they use a combination of
Weight, spur length, and beard length combined to
Determine the trophy status.

However, for me it's much more about how difficult
The bird was to call in. Turkey hunting can be
Addictive and on the good days when the goggles
Are hot there isn't much that's more fun.

Hope you get to experience it some day.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me, the appeal has nothing to do with a tom being a "trophy" or not. I love to eat turkey... they are big, beautiful birds and there is a hunting season for them. Add to that the fact that they are one of the more difficult birds to hunt, and the prospect of bagging one becomes pretty appealing.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:17 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SakoBavarian
Are they hard to put down or not too bad?
They are considered a "tough" bird. Need to be at pretty close range and get as many pellets in the head/neck as possible. I personally haven't shot many other birds so I don't have alot to compare them to. I once shot two ducks with one shell that were flying down a creek bed with a 20ga with #6's at about 50yds. I really don't think turkeys would have flinched if they were hit with that.

The other reason they are considered "tough" is that they often are still flopping and flapping for quite some time after being shot. I've had birds get up and fly after being shot (although this is rare).
Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by big rockpile
If a Turkey could smell you they would be as close to impossible to hunt as you could get.Their hearing and Eye Sight is unbelievable.

Hunting the Gobble,come looking for the Lady calling,Gobble,Strut,Gobble.Just out of range,bugs are biting but you can't move,sweat running in your eyes.He looks,Strut,looks.Every nerve in your Body is begging this Bird to move.Finally he Struts within 30 yards,you wait until he comes out of Strut.You Cluck with your Mouth Call,he comes out of Strut,your Bead is on his Neck,squezze the Trigger,you don't notice the kick of the Gun,the Bird is Flopping.Then all is still,nerves have been released,you have beat the King of Spring.

big rockpile
They are tasty also...A trophy doesn't have to have the biggest spurs, the longest beard or the best tail fan...a trophy for me is how hard you worked to get the animal...my first bow buck kill was a spike whitetail I called in. was it a record no way but I called it in and got a clean shot on it, and recovered it! I still enjoyed the meals it provided me and my family... Same goes with turkey.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Like some others have said, the birds are completely unpredictable and hard to "play the odds" with. They have extremely good survival instincts further adding to the difficulty of killing one. Then there is the challenge of calling them in, and the satisfaction of knowing you fooled them. To top it all off, they are extremely tasty!

As for beard and spurs, I equate the beard as antler points and the spurs as antler mass on a deer. However, the beard is the only thing I look for before I shoot to determine whether it is a mature bird or not (longer than 6"). The spurs are an added bonus when the bird is recovered. Generally a 10" beard or better and 1" or better spurs indicate a 3yr old bird. It's not too common to find one older. I would say 75% of birds killed are 2yr olds. However, there have been 3yr olds with 9" beards and no spurs, so notice I said "generally" above.

The NWTF scores birds in the following way:
1st spur length X 10 =
2nd spur length X 10 =
Weight X 1 =
Total Beard(s) length X 2=

* Add all of them up for the score.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.