HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   No Spit (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/380231-no-spit.html)

Vulture6 03-25-2013 12:03 PM

No Spit

Anyone else have this problem?

I practice a lot with my mouth calls - usually while I'm commuting to work - and I think I've gotten pretty good. I can cutt, purr, yelp, and cut pretty realistically and reliably - but when a bird is responding and coming in, my mouth goes dry and I sound like a rusty spring being bent backwards.

Of course, when a bird is in sight, I generally shut up unless they indicate that they're losing interest - which makes it even more difficult to get a decent sound out - so I find myself resorting to a quick tap to my box call for a cluck.

Any suggestions?

Wingbone 03-25-2013 03:45 PM

If they're that close, I don't call. It's too easy to screw up. If they're already coming in, they know where you are. I don't use mouth calls for the reason that I find myself calling too much, 'cause its too easy to make just one more call.

newton29 03-25-2013 05:45 PM

When I set up, I rinse my mouth out with my water bottle, and rinse the mouth call off. Once the bird commits, I only give two or three yelps, and then only after he gobbles and I know he's not on top of me.

FlDeerman 03-26-2013 05:02 AM

Good advice,I have Vultures problem.I'll be calling away and the first gobble and my mouth goes dry.Which is why I keep the box call close.

14 ga 03-26-2013 06:21 AM

dry mouth

you guy's are drinking the wrong whiskey

cheers

firelt72 03-26-2013 07:17 AM

Sounds like white coat syndrom to me. When practicing you are relaxed and calm, but when the bird is truly on the way you get excited. Like a person who takes their BP at Walmart and it is fine, but they head to Dr and it goes sky high. I'd say this the water is great and I store my calls in mouthwash so they always taste good (mouth waters) and fresh when I put them in and secondly kills germs. I agree the water helps a buch. Concentrait on breathing through your nose and not mouth breathing. Mouth breathing will increase the dryness of the mouth and call.

Teebugg 03-26-2013 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by firelt72 (Post 4046351)
Sounds like white coat syndrom to me. When practicing you are relaxed and calm, but when the bird is truly on the way you get excited. Like a person who takes their BP at Walmart and it is fine, but they head to Dr and it goes sky high. I'd say this the water is great and I store my calls in mouthwash so they always taste good (mouth waters) and fresh when I put them in and secondly kills germs. I agree the water helps a buch. Concentrait on breathing through your nose and not mouth breathing. Mouth breathing will increase the dryness of the mouth and call.

Fully agree with this.:barmy: