HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Semi-Auto.....Options (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/380079-semi-auto-options.html)

BOWHUNTERCOP 03-20-2013 02:57 PM

Semi-Auto.....Options

So for awhile I've been wanting to add a semi-auto for turkey to my gun collection. I own two 11-87 in 12 & 20ga but for deer/bear hunting.

For turkey I want the semi-auto in 12ga., 3.5", camo. Now I know most if not all of the gun makers make it, and as of now I'm leaning towards the 11-87 mag. cause I have two of them, but also looking at the Browning and in many ways the same gun Winchester SX3, but the price tag is expensive for a gun I will use once in a while for a few weeks in spring.

So with the three I named: 11-87, Browning, and Winchester, which others would you add to the list of good, reliable decent price semi-autos? I was looking at the Mossberg 935, but read on-line owners having problems with theirs, I have no problem with Mossberg pumps.

Thanks for your help !!!

White_Farm 03-20-2013 05:43 PM

I personally have an SX3 in 3 1/2" with a 26" barrel and I do love it. I've had good luck with it and its very lightweight. Haven't shot the others in your list, so I can't really say. But you are correct, all the autos are pricey! Do some googling in general and I bet you find a bunch of opinions. In a perfect world I'd say get a benelli, but the price tag is tough to swallow.

JW 03-20-2013 05:55 PM

Few questions why 3.5" round - really not needed stick with 3 inch

Why new gun - have you thought about buying a second 11-87 barrel. I did - bought a cantelever 20" for my 11-87 and topped it off with a Nikon Mondarch Turkey Pro scope.
Barrel came with a rifled choke tube to which I just added Hastings Extra Full 0.665 to it and was done.

Just an idea.

JW

bald9eagle 03-20-2013 06:10 PM

I'll add Charles Daly and Stoeger, although I don't believe that the Stoger comes in a 3.5".

Sheridan 03-20-2013 07:31 PM

I own a beretta Extrema semi-auto in 12ga., 3.5", in camo.

Works for me.

Great waterfowl gun also !!!

BOWHUNTERCOP 03-21-2013 12:14 AM

I like the fact I have a range of options with the 3.5" chamber. I love my Mossberg 835 it's my goto turkey gun, but always wanted a semi-auto for these birds. As far as another barrel for my 12ga. 11-87 is one way I can go, but those are my deer guns and I tack them way more serious then turkey guns.

w123t 03-21-2013 03:44 AM

I also would suggest dropping the 3.5, not necessary,
Excessive recoil, and in many cases there appears to
Be little or no improvement in pattern over a 3".

I really like my Benelli m2 3" with a short 21 inch
Barrel. Perfect for the turkey woods. Set up with
An Indian Creek choke and Nitro shells--- very
Happy with the pattern out to 50 yards.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

White_Farm 03-21-2013 05:40 AM

If you can get a gun that shoots 2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/2"...then why not? You may not need the 3 1/2, but why not have the option? If its more expensive to get a 3 1/2" and you are sticking to a scrict budget, then I get it. Or if you fall in love with a specific gun that doesn't come in 3 1/2", then that seems fine too. I guess in my mind I just like having the option of any size shell. Please feel free to disagree!! :-)

longbeardbuster 03-21-2013 01:30 PM

Benelli Super Black Eagle, I know they are expensive but I bought a used, 1st generation model years ago with a 26 inch barrel, best semi auto I have ever owned. I have a Leupold scope on it, xx Comp-n-Choke and have killed several turkeys from 15 to 58 yards with it, it has never let me down.