Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
It took 4 seasons, but finally got it done. >

It took 4 seasons, but finally got it done.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

It took 4 seasons, but finally got it done.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats nothing is sweeter then your first Tom!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats mrl0004 on your success!! I enjoyed reading your story as well as looking at your pics.. I am also glad to see your still using the flyrod!

Again congrats! There is nothing like getting your first turkey!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bald9eagle
Congrats and War Eagle! Where were you hunting? I have hunted Choccolocco and Oakmulgee since opening day and have only heard one bird.
This was in Mississippi. I also hunt in Notasulga on a friend's land and back home in Geneva (South AL). I'm not brave enough for public land turkey hunting! Too many people ready to shoot anything that moves.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Congrats mrl0004 on your success!! I enjoyed reading your story as well as looking at your pics.. I am also glad to see your still using the flyrod!

Again congrats! There is nothing like getting your first turkey!
Thanks Phil, good to see a familiar name. Do you hunt them up in Maine?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:22 AM
Typical Buck

Public land isn't as bad as you might think. I have hunted public land for 20 years now and only twice have I had issues. You just have to be smart and try not to intrude on other hunters.

I asked cause every report I've had so far is that the birds aren't gobbling anywhere. I'm just happy to know that the birds are actually gobbling SOMEWHERE!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bald9eagle
Public land isn't as bad as you might think. I have hunted public land for 20 years now and only twice have I had issues. You just have to be smart and try not to intrude on other hunters.

I asked cause every report I've had so far is that the birds aren't gobbling anywhere. I'm just happy to know that the birds are actually gobbling SOMEWHERE!
I've heard some reports of gobbling in AL, but not many. I think this yo-yo weather of hot one day and cold the next is probably pushing back the prime time by a little. Which after last year, might not be a bad thing. As soon as the season opened last year, where I hunt all the hens had already bred and gobblers weren't making a peep!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

awesome story and pics too....
Old 03-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

Great story congrats on your first Tom thanks for sharing your hint with us
Old 03-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

I took a turkey the very first time I ever hunted them. What I didn't know as a 15 year old was that crushed corn was an excellent turkey call and just how hard turkey hunting could be.

I hit a dry spell that lasted for 8 years. Just being able to get in the woods on days other than Saturday helped my learning experience over the last 10 years.

For the record, the crushed corn was not my doing. I had no idea that it was there until after I shot the bird.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by mrl0004
Thanks Phil, good to see a familiar name. Do you hunt them up in Maine?
Thank you! and the same here..

Yes I sure do! I am taking a vacation from work for the first week of it here. Our birds normally are not quite as large as those from other areas of the country. That is unless I was to travel down state and try to get permission to hunt around a farm. Up here I hunt a very large field. It is a pipeline and power line that runs for roughly 86 miles.. Lots of birds travel that area and it has given up 4 birds to me in the last 2 years. I will be giving that area a try again this coming season.. No scouting as of yet we keep getting snow up here..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 03-22-2013 at 02:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.