Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
How many of you put birds to bed? >

How many of you put birds to bed?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How many of you put birds to bed?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Spike

Default How many of you put birds to bed?

For you newbies to tukey hunting putting a turkey to bed is listening right before and at roost time trying to pinpoint a gobbler or gobblers for the next morning. I have hunted with folks that think they have to roost birds before the next days hunt. I wonder just how important other turkey hunters feel this stratedgy is. How many of you think this is important or crucial to your turkey hunting success?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

I do it on occasion but really to just get an idea of where they are roosting so I have a starting point. I prefer getting there early and just listening for gobbles in the morning.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never had much luck roosting them the night before...Just seems that gobblers don't gobble much around here once they fly up...
Old 03-13-2013, 03:25 AM
Typical Buck

I've roosted a few times. As Troy Ruiz said one time...Roosting ain't always roasting. For the most part I am familiar with the hunting area and where the birds typically are so I rarely roost one.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

What a great opportunity to grab a buddy and go have a beer and hang out and listen to the owls and hens and all chatter up before dark... then if they don't make a peep, ya still have yer beer...
Otherwise, roosting birds is all good, but if the wake up and fly down the other way... your just left with an empty roost
Old 03-13-2013, 05:26 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I hunt only public land and I know specific trees where turkey always roost. However, I can never kill a tom there. They always fly down away from me. I expect they know when it's a hunter calling.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

I like to try to roost birds the night before
when I have the time available. If I think
the birds have been hunted hard, I will
try to get within a hundred yards of where they
are roosted, sit quiet until I'm sure they are on the ground
then just call once and be quiet again. Sometimes it works
sometimes it doesn't. Frequently, I think hens will
take the Toms away in the opposite direction
from calling---they don't like to share sound
familiar ?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

I always try, but it only works out that way about 1/2 the time. You have to catch them when they are in the mood to shock gobble, around here the season starts late-April/early May, so it's generally going to be the first week of the seaon, after that you just have to be plain lucky or be in the woods and visually watch them roost.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default eve. roost

at least in the west where you can see great distances it is fairly easy to find where turkey roost so the next eve. just be there early and shoot one as they show up. killed a couple this last winter with my 14 ga.. can't really call them in the winter so get them on their travel routes to the roost, in kansas ya can't shoot them in the trees. in the spring it seems no matter where or how i set up they fly down just out of range and wander off some other direction but then i have to be well under 30 yds.

cheers
Old 03-13-2013, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

It is probably the best way to put yourself near a gobbler in the morning. I have shot all of my morning birds this way or at least setting up near know roosts. Man does it get your blood flowing when you here that Tom gobble off in the morning darkness I cant wait

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.