Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Gobbling after 9am

Old 03-11-2013, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gobbling after 9am

10am walking down a loggin road on some public land and you hear a bird gobble say 150 yards away... You set up and make a few calls... Birds never gobbles again... How long do you wait before you pack it up and move on?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

I never wait more than 10min in my experience I have never understood the over calling thing. One thing I do if I am calling a lot is change up calls and keep it different like multiple birds in the area.
Treebeard
Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

Well my season closes at 1pm so if I hear him at 10am, I'm probably going to stick with him for the next 3 hours. I'll change up on the calls or use a locater to shock him to gobble. Now if I hear one thats wants to play I might leave and try to get him to play. Otherwise I will try to get him fired up or get really curious on where the calling is coming from. If he gobbles at me then I'll probably shut up and let the games begin.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Patience is the key word in turkey hunting and IMHO if you only wait 10 minutes on a bird you're going to miss a big percentage that either come in slow and silent or might be coming in slow and will light it up as they get in closer and think they missed that hen that was calling to him.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

After calling I would wait at least 1/2 hour, although
If you get no response to your calling it seems pretty
Likely that he is still with a hen. After 1/2 hour and
No gobbling or other indications, I'd try to get a
Shock gobble---still nothing, I'd take my best guess
At where he might have gone move closer to
That area and try again.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default wait time

bottom line is that there is no way to know. being impatient will cost you a lot of birds over the years. remember, most birds don't come in anyway but you might try different sound and bring a good paper back with you

cheers
Old 03-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Patience is the key word in turkey hunting and IMHO if you only wait 10 minutes on a bird you're going to miss a big percentage that either come in slow and silent or might be coming in slow and will light it up as they get in closer and think they missed that hen that was calling to him.
This.

If I dont hear anything, but I KNOW he heard me, i might just stand there and literally wait for a bit. The second he cant resist to sound off, Ill make a move.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
In my experience, if he gobbles after 10:00, he is alone and looking for a "friend". All I hunt is public land and if gobbles that late I'm staying put till the 1 pm cutoff.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, at least an hour here and I probably won't call again if he answers my first call...

I will scratch up some leaves from time to time but calling is greatly over done by most in my opinion...If he answers you the first time he heard you...

Nothing in this world is more annoying than a mouthy female!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

One courtesy gobble is tough. I will wait 20 minutes or so and then move toward him and try him some more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.