Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hevi 13 Pattern

Old 03-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know this is beating a dead horse. But if its really only good out to 40 yards... Plain ol lead turkey loads can get that job done all day long for less money and less headaches...
Old 03-18-2013, 08:00 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Todd1700
Mossberg 835 Tactical Turkey; 20 inch barrel; Hevishot choke; Hevi 13 3 1/2 inch number 7. 298 pellets inside 10 inches at 40 yards.

Maybe it is me being picky here but to me if the Red dot was your aim point and the resulting shot produced this pattern you are high and up to the left.
I won't argue "Is This Turkey Dead?" Yes this Turkey died as the Red dot with the number of hits within that circle fits my criteria(8 to 10 hits in the spine, skull & eye) and I would be sort of happy with this pattern.

But if you move this Red dot up the center line of your drawn Cross Hairs and slightly to the left - it can be greatly improved.

But that is just me and like Mr L - call em close and it don't matter.

JW
Old 03-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

#7 shot isn't legal here, the DEM doesn't care if it's lead, Heavy Shot, or anything else. I have a 20" 835 and shoot 3.5" 2.25 oz #6 Hevi-13s. Not quite as many pellets but I do put about 200 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. I mis-judged the distance to the last bird I shot. I thought he was at 40 yards and took the shot. He went down hard. Afterwards I paced off the distance and it was about 50 yards. Good enough for me.

Last edited by RIStrutStopper; 03-21-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

Someone asked earlier what kind of pattern would you have at 10yds with the hevi 13 and that there wouldn't be much room for error. I shoot the Mag Blend and wondered the same thing. Well I can't say for sure about 10yds but at 20 with mag blend I have almost the exact pattern as I do at 40yds and it looks identical to the 40yd pattern of #7's shown on here. Some may say well that isn't something to be happy about, but I'm thrilled about it because my pattern at 20yds with Remington Premieres is about the size of a softball and that doesn't leave much room for error.