Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Hornandy Nickel 5 Turkey loads. >

Hornandy Nickel 5 Turkey loads.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hornandy Nickel 5 Turkey loads.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hornandy Nickel 5 Turkey loads.

I saw yesterday a box of 12ga, 3" 5's and on the box Hornandy recommended that you shoot an imp.cyl or mod choke for best results!!!!!! WTF!!!!! It is nickel shot, not Hevi-Shot. Why would they say to use such an open choke for just coated lead shot like that? Anyone shot these loads and what were your results? Thanks.

Last edited by SecondChance; 03-09-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

Bought some for my 870 but haven't shot them yet. Got a jellyhead choke so I'll see the next few days.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

The reason for the choke recommendation is the Hornady® load uses a Versatite wad (which is a copy of the Federal® Flitecontrol™ wad).
Old 03-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dawei
The reason for the choke recommendation is the Hornady® load uses a Versatite wad (which is a copy of the Federal® Flitecontrol™ wad).
I see. Well then maybe I may get a box just for kicks and see what happens. Will send them out of my ported Briley Imp. Mod and see what I get. I have come to find out my Imp. Mod tube with Hevi-Shot 4-6's are GREAT duck and goose slayers. Just so happens to mic out the same as Hevi-Shots super duper choke tube and almost $40 cheaper!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Take a look at the HEVISHOT Magnum Blend Turkey loads
you will love them....
Old 03-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wingseek
you will love them....
I have cases of Hevi-Steel, Hevi-Metal, Hevi-Shot and then Hevi-13.
in both 12 and 20ga. I just saw the Hornandy and was just nosey about it. I shoot lead and Hevi-Shot in my 12ga for turkey and nothing but Hevi-13 in my 20ga. Great stuff for waterfowl!!!!!!! I have never killed a turkey with it as of yet.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

they pattern great out of my browning bps with imp cyl choke.
they should pattern similar to federal with flite control wad. if the chokes to tight you'll get large inconsistent patterns.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by wingseek
you will love them....
No doubt about it. Best shooting load I have ever shot. They are getting hard to find!!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a Nitro man myself but wanted a cheaper alternative. I shoot a SBEII with a Jellyhead choke. I recently decided to set my old Rem 870 up as a dedicated turkey gun and thought I would give the Hornady's a try.

I have used the Magnum Blend and like them almost as much as the Nitros. Since the Nitros are loaded a little hotter I like the pop they provide.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Spike

Haven't seen them here in Al yet, but our LE Only load for 14" Rem 11-87 shotguns (POS BTW) is an 8 pellet 00 buck that does manage to make the gun function. Most others except "magnums" jam, fail to extract. This load will keep the 8 pellet charge inside the 8 ring of a B27 target(the one that looks like a guy with his hand on his hip, head to lower waist profile). That is impressive from a 14" shotgun w/a cylinder bore. I'd buy it in the #5 load to shoot turkeys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.