HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Hornandy Nickel 5 Turkey loads. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/379791-hornandy-nickel-5-turkey-loads.html)

SecondChance 03-09-2013 02:32 PM

Hornandy Nickel 5 Turkey loads.

I saw yesterday a box of 12ga, 3" 5's and on the box Hornandy recommended that you shoot an imp.cyl or mod choke for best results!!!!!! WTF!!!!! It is nickel shot, not Hevi-Shot. Why would they say to use such an open choke for just coated lead shot like that? Anyone shot these loads and what were your results? Thanks.

bald9eagle 03-09-2013 02:51 PM

Bought some for my 870 but haven't shot them yet. Got a jellyhead choke so I'll see the next few days.

dawei 03-09-2013 04:30 PM

The reason for the choke recommendation is the Hornady® load uses a Versatite wad (which is a copy of the Federal® Flitecontrol™ wad).

SecondChance 03-09-2013 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by dawei (Post 4041989)
The reason for the choke recommendation is the Hornady® load uses a Versatite wad (which is a copy of the Federal® Flitecontrol™ wad).

I see. Well then maybe I may get a box just for kicks and see what happens. Will send them out of my ported Briley Imp. Mod and see what I get. I have come to find out my Imp. Mod tube with Hevi-Shot 4-6's are GREAT duck and goose slayers. Just so happens to mic out the same as Hevi-Shots super duper choke tube and almost $40 cheaper!!!

wingseek 03-09-2013 07:20 PM

Take a look at the HEVISHOT Magnum Blend Turkey loads
you will love them....

SecondChance 03-09-2013 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by wingseek (Post 4042014)
you will love them....

I have cases of Hevi-Steel, Hevi-Metal, Hevi-Shot and then Hevi-13.
in both 12 and 20ga. I just saw the Hornandy and was just nosey about it. I shoot lead and Hevi-Shot in my 12ga for turkey and nothing but Hevi-13 in my 20ga. Great stuff for waterfowl!!!!!!! I have never killed a turkey with it as of yet.

thelukai1100 03-10-2013 09:08 AM

they pattern great out of my browning bps with imp cyl choke.
they should pattern similar to federal with flite control wad. if the chokes to tight you'll get large inconsistent patterns.

browtine7 03-10-2013 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by wingseek (Post 4042014)
you will love them....

No doubt about it. Best shooting load I have ever shot. They are getting hard to find!!!!

bald9eagle 03-10-2013 12:28 PM

I'm a Nitro man myself but wanted a cheaper alternative. I shoot a SBEII with a Jellyhead choke. I recently decided to set my old Rem 870 up as a dedicated turkey gun and thought I would give the Hornady's a try.

I have used the Magnum Blend and like them almost as much as the Nitros. Since the Nitros are loaded a little hotter I like the pop they provide.

bubbinator 03-16-2013 10:27 PM

Haven't seen them here in Al yet, but our LE Only load for 14" Rem 11-87 shotguns (POS BTW) is an 8 pellet 00 buck that does manage to make the gun function. Most others except "magnums" jam, fail to extract. This load will keep the 8 pellet charge inside the 8 ring of a B27 target(the one that looks like a guy with his hand on his hip, head to lower waist profile). That is impressive from a 14" shotgun w/a cylinder bore. I'd buy it in the #5 load to shoot turkeys.