Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Turkey Season is close and I need help >

Turkey Season is close and I need help

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Season is close and I need help

Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 AM
Spike

Default Turkey Season is close and I need help

I've decided to start doing what I haven't done since high school and miss very much. Hunting! Turkey season is starting soon and I'm looking to buy a 12 guage. Problem is I can't decide on a pump or auto loader. I've been looking at Remingtons, Mossbergs, and Stoegers. More parts usuallly means more problems so I'm leaning towards a pump. On the other hand an autoloader would be ready to fire another round if needed. I also want to be able to do more than hunting turkey with it so a good all around 12 guage under $600 is a part of the quandry also.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Under $600, I'd go with either a Browning BPS or a Remington 870...Either of these pumps in 3 inch mag will last you a lifetime...Equip them with a good turkey choke and hit the range with a couple of different 3 inch turkey loads in number 5 shot, check their pattern at 40 yards and you should be ready to get started...
Old 02-22-2013, 03:44 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, I would get a used Remington 870 pump in good condition
get an appropriate Indian creek turkey choke and then try out
several different Turkey loads until you find one that your
happy with the pattern. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're looking for a budget-friendly auto-loader, the Weatherby SA-08 is a nice enough gun. I've had mine for two seasons and haven't had any problems after a thorough first cleaning... tons of shells through it and shoots really nicely.

Otherwise, you really can't go wrong with an 870.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

I'd put Benelli on the list, Supernova or Nova, depending upon what you want to spend (either would fit a $600 budget).
Old 02-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you decide on a pump, go with the 870 super mag. You will still have plenty of time to get another shot or two if need be.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Spike

Thanks. I'll let you know what I get.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Spike

It's been done. I just bought the Remington 870 Super Mag Pump. Spent over three hours at the store and checked stoeger, mossberg and remington. Even checked out a Savage bolt action(mostly curiosity) I guess the deciding factor was the mossbergs they had were only 22" barrels and I wanted something more versatile for other wild game. So there you have it. Now I'll spend the next couple of weekends on the range. Can't wait till gobbler season starts!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

First you get what you like and are comfortable with second if you don't rush your shots all you need is a pump.
I have used the same Remington 870 mag for over 20 years hunting turkeys, never had any problems and with the Rhino chock and Hevi-shot ammo I have a great pattern, just look up the top 10 12 ga and Rem 870 will be on it, it's very popular and very reliable!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default shot gun

never could understand why people would be confused over picking what is a low grade shotgun to begin with. you are not spending thousands, turkey don't care what ya use. go to a gun store, pick out what ya think is pretty one and if it seems to fit, buy the damn thing then take it someplace and learn how to shoot it properly, check out it's chokes and a few shells. i shoot my turkey with a muzzle loader that has cyl. bore. just do it.

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.