Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What do you value most?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:10 AM
Spike

Default What do you value most?

When you kill a gobbler do you value the length/thickness of the beard or the length of the spurs most? For me I value the spurs most. Nothing like some big ol hooks.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a spur man, myself.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I would have to say the length of the beard. I know it was not on the list but the memory of the hunt is what I really value the most.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
use to be that way with me, I could look in my display case and look at each beard and spurs on display and vividly recall all the details of that hunt.
as the seasons came and went and the hooks got filled in the case most just became a blur in my memory except, throughout the case are 10 sets of spurs that are at least 1 3/8" long, those ten I can remember, I can still see the sightpicture when I squeezed the trigger, along with the intricate details leading up to that moment.
RR
I know what your saying about the memories beginning to blur. Lol. I can not really match up any of my beards and spurs to any particular bird that I have killed but the memory of the hunt is still in my head. I duck hunt the same general area that I have harvested some of my turkeys so each time I paddle past a kill spot my mind gets flooded with the memories.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 AM
Spike

I like the total package , After all seeing the whole bird is what puts you on the bird in the first place , You see the full fan in the sun the beard dragging on the ground when he struts for the ladies spurs are great but rarely do i ever get to see them until after the gobbler has been anchored .
GE
Old 01-26-2013, 05:57 AM
Spike

Most veteran turkey hunters I know like the spurs the best. As Ridge Runner said there's too many things that can happen to the beard.

Golden Eagle I rarely see beards that drag the ground. I guess the birds I hunt drag them off chasing hens! I need to hunt in Canada.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

I have to say spurs. But I also like the beards especially if its a double beard. Plus theres something about putting a big gobbler down that weighs over 25lbs. I like it all.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by longbowlee
Most veteran turkey hunters I know like the spurs the best. As Ridge Runner said there's too many things that can happen to the beard.

Golden Eagle I rarely see beards that drag the ground. I guess the birds I hunt drag them off chasing hens! I need to hunt in Canada.
Every year i see at least 1 if not 2 but there a tough bird to kill as when they get that big there also extremely warey and usually on terrain that doesnt afford any cover to get close. Ill try to carry a camera more this year and pic them given the chance my best thus far had a 12 inch beard 13/4 inch spurs and weighed in at 23 lbs 9oz . but thats a while ago now .
GE
Old 01-28-2013, 12:17 AM
Fork Horn

I just like hunting. But it's good to get the full package I guess. I like beard more i think
Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Paint brush, but well developed multible beards are the best for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.