Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best Turkey Loads

Old 02-01-2013, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

I recently patterned Nitro Blend 4,5,6,7 and compared that
to heavy 13 magnum blend 5,6,7. The Nitro's clearly out
performed Magnum blend after about 35 yards. I would
be comfortable with the Nitro's out to 50 yards. Expensive
but maybe worth it if your traveling a distance for a few days
of turkey hunting.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stratomaster18
Thanks guys. I'll probably only be able to get out and pattern my gun once before the season, so like I said, I don't want to get a whole bunch of different kinds. This should narrow it down a lot.
Cheap way of doing this is to bum a few shells from your buddies and have a go at it. Saves you money and gives you a wider range of shells to try.
I personally shoot a Mossberg Turkey Tactical with Mossberg's Turkey tube.
I have found that Winch. Supreme 3.5" 5's are DEADLY out to 40 + yds. I have also have a scoped Winch Super X2 with a Hastings .675 and 3" Hevi-Shot Hevi 13's in 6's that my nephew took a hung up tom at 57yds with just drop, no flop.

Last edited by SecondChance; 02-01-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

I always liked Winchester HD, 3 1/2" #6, but I'm having trouble finding it. I heard a rumor that it's been discontinued. I hope not, if so I will probably try Hevi-Shot this year.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default big deal loads

you guy's are making too big a deal out of your loads and chokes. spend more time on learning how to hunt, like maybe getting closer to the birds. if you get your bird to well under 40 yards, then most anything will work, go with smaller shot and greater density. the last 10 or so birds i have taken, including 3 this winter have been with my 14 ga. antique muzzle loader with cyl. bore. i use a mix of 6's and 7.5's copper, with a mag. slit shot cup and really flop em' out to 30 yards, have yet to have a bird get up.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails Best Turkey Loads-turkey-005.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 14 ga
you guy's are making too big a deal out of your loads and chokes. spend more time on learning how to hunt, like maybe getting closer to the birds. if you get your bird to well under 40 yards, then most anything will work, go with smaller shot and greater density. the last 10 or so birds i have taken, including 3 this winter have been with my 14 ga. antique muzzle loader with cyl. bore. i use a mix of 6's and 7.5's copper, with a mag. slit shot cup and really flop em' out to 30 yards, have yet to have a bird get up.

cheers

Whoa there cowboy. Saying that you can kill a turkey with most anything is like saying I can kill a deer if I can hit a milk jug at 100 yards. Listen, I took my first turkey with a 20ga and 7.5 shot. I know that it is possible.

While what you say is true to an extent (and I completely agree about getting them closer than 40 yards) the entire reason behind the choke/shot combo idea is to be more efficient and more sure about the shot you are taking.

If I had a to choose between a .22 rifle and a scatter gun, I'm taking the .22. The ability to focus the energy of the shot in a smaller area is what it is all about.

I understand what you are really saying though. The lack of woodsmanship and the idea of taking turkeys (or any game animal) at extended ranges bugs me. I cringe when I see someone talk about 50+ yard shots on turkeys or 500 yard shots on deer.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think if you take a well-placed shot within 40 yards, it really shouldn't matter what your choke/shell combo is (within reason, of course)... it's going to take them down.

This is especially true if you know where your pellets end up when you shoot your gun.

TBH, I think all the fine-tuning is more for fun than anything.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Spike

I agree with bald9eagle, getting the bird close is optimal. I've been hunting turkeys for a while and have found that they don't always come runnin to the sound of a call or a deke. Where I hunt, there is quite a bit of pressure and the Toms wise up pretty quick. If I have a Big Tom at 50 yards that won't come in, I know I can drop him with Hevi-13. I have also patterned and worked with my choke/ammo combination enough to be confident as I know just how my shot will act at different distances. Hevi-13 is dense enough to penetrate at great distances and patterns out of my gun very well. Every year I get better at calling and figuring out the birds, but it seems like they get smarter too.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

The HEvi13 turkey shells from HeviShot are the most lethal
load that I have seen.....
Old 02-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Banned

alot of responses here but the bottom line is... none of us can tell you the best shell for your gun. only you can figure that out with testing.

as a general rule any of the heavier than lead loads pattern better than lead. if you reload try some tss shot if you are allowed to use 8's or 9's
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 14 ga

cheers
really aint saying anything to use a 14 gauge and only kill at 30 yards. esp when there are guys using 410's with heavier than lead loads and killing at 30-35 yards. if you are of the old school of call em close then there is not need for such a big bore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.