Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Favorite way to hunt turkeys >

Favorite way to hunt turkeys

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Favorite way to hunt turkeys

Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

Set up by their roost then run and gun till they stop gobbling. Then I like to sit in fields and blind hunt.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

Any way I can convince a youth or beginning hunter to go! I love to get new people involved in this great sport! If they want to sit and wait or run and gun its ok with me!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:57 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Set up on them in the morning. After that, that's when it gets fun to me. I've got a good hunting bud, like most of you, but we kind of pride ourselves on doing whatever it takes to get em! Lol!! If its waiting on a field in the rain all day or crawling down a pine row to get close enough to shoot.....guess my favorite way is just freakin turkey hunting!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 AM
Spike

I used to run and gun but my old knees are shot so now if I don't have any luck at flydown I will get in a strut area and sit and call every 20 min or so. I have killed a lot of silent birds that way.

When I was younger I would get after them. One morning comes to mind. It was one of them cold late March mornings and our first stop didn't work out. We move and get one gobblin. The only problem was that he was across the creek. We waded that cold creek with water up to our necks,got set up and killed him in short order. Them ones you have to work your tail off to get is sweet.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default plan b

i kinda agree with efh. start out with some sort of a plan, be flexible and do what it takes, be there, have fun, it's your outdoors. don't try and match wits with a turkey, they don't have any, just try and be a little smarter as every day is different and if you think you have it all figured out you are a novice with the same wits as ol' tom. remember, ya can't out think something that can't think, don't even try, time in the woods is what works year after year. luck sometimes, but time

cheers
Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

I like to be in the woods prior to dawn and locate gobblers on the roost. If they are fairly far off I close the distance and pick a setup site. I have had occassions when I had to run and gun in order to outwit some very smart gobblers. On one run and gun I had a first time turkey hunter shoot a 22lb 11" bearded gobbler that I called in that was traveling with another big gobbler.