Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
noob here - What do I look for when scouting? >

noob here - What do I look for when scouting?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

noob here - What do I look for when scouting?

Old 01-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Spike

Default noob here - What do I look for when scouting?

Hello all. One of my goals for this year is to take the hunter safety class. I'd like to hunt turkey. I can't take the class until the summer, but in the meantime, I spend a lot of time running and hiking on trails. I'd like to scout a few public lands out while I am doing this. What do I look for? I know what turkey tracks look like, but is there a link or resource that tells me other signs, and what time of year the occur at? Thanks!

ETA:

Just saw the Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics forum. Feel free to move this thread if it would be more appropriate there.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Look for feather and poop and scratchins and listen
Old 01-02-2013, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

It's not so much looking in the spring as it is listening for gobbles before the season starts. Fall turkey I would scout for scratchings, feathers, turkey turds.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
It's not so much looking in the spring as it is listening for gobbles before the season starts. Fall turkey I would scout for scratchings, feathers, turkey turds.
What can I look for in the winter?

By the way, thanks for the responses, all.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Their behavior changes from winter to spring. So winter scouting would at best give you a general idea that there are turkeys in the area.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would spend most of my time listening in the mornings the last of march and till the opener and try and locate gobblers that way... And also try and pay attention to the parking areas the closer it gets to the season opener... That will give you an idea of the areas that get hammered...
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

When I'm looking for Mariam's here in co. I first look for water and roost trees then after locating the roost area you can put the rest of the story together.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

During the winter they will be in large flocks. Pay attention to where the flocks are, they wont travel too far from their food source. Wait till the first of march and just listen and document where they are and make a game plan.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

If your state is having a drought like many others the water is the key!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by RockyMtnGobblers
When I'm looking for Mariam's here in co. I first look for water and roost trees then after locating the roost area you can put the rest of the story together.
RMG, will turkeys always return to roost in the same grove of trees like a "base camp," or will they just roost wherever they end up when the sun goes down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.