HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Spring turkey hunt Upper St Johns River WMA, FL-Three Lakes, Bull Creek instead (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/377047-spring-turkey-hunt-upper-st-johns-river-wma-fl-three-lakes-bull-creek-instead.html)

lak2004 12-27-2012 02:03 PM

Spring turkey hunt Upper St Johns River WMA, FL-Three Lakes, Bull Creek instead

Hello all, i will be traveling to florida at the end of march and would like to try to get an Osceola bird while i am there. I have been doing tons of research but need a little more guidance. I dont need a quota permit to hunt the Upper St Johns River WMA so that is specifically where i am looking.

I am trying to do this on a very minimal budget (who isnt these days) so my only option is public diy hunt. I am wondering about the area and what kind of access that area has. All i know now is it is a huge tract and i am new to the area.

Also i will be flying into orlando and heading towards cocoa beach to meet up with family after i hunt a few days.

Any info or links to the area would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Edit: ok after much more research, I have been looking more at the three lakes and bull creek wma's and one of those will be the spot, leaning more towards three lakes though.

bornagain64 12-30-2012 03:39 PM

Never been there, hopefully someone on here can help you out.
We have had a lot of rain this year in Florida so the area will probably be flooded and the river will be high.

Not sure if you where gonna try and scout before the hunt but definantly do some scouting on google earth.

Good luck. John

lak2004 01-03-2013 08:09 PM

Ok so now that it is between three lakes and bull creek anyone got some advice for a novice turkey hunter? Also any general advice on hunting in Florida, ie- snakes, gators, spiders, weather, swamp, etc.....?

Won't be able to do any on the ground scouting it will be via maps and web

FATboySWEATS 01-03-2013 09:51 PM

I hunted Deer in Three Lakes on the HWY 60 side all year and only seen 4 Turkeys on Rd 7. I know there are Turkeys on the property as I have seen up to 30 at a time at the entrance which in on private land.

Arrowmaster 01-04-2013 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by lak2004 (Post 4023581)
Ok so now that it is between three lakes and bull creek anyone got some advice for a novice turkey hunter? Also any general advice on hunting in Florida, ie- snakes, gators, spiders, weather, swamp, etc.....?

Won't be able to do any on the ground scouting it will be via maps and web

I hunted in Florida in 2012. Dont know if your setting on the ground or in a blind. Id watch out for the cactus, hogs, ants and snakes.

lak2004 01-04-2013 06:54 PM

I'm going to be very minimal, no blind or anything. Probably will also be using my bow rather than shotgun. Plan on renting a minivan and sleeping in it for the couple days I will have to hunt.

Adrian J Hare 01-13-2013 03:43 AM

Be there the night before opening around 9:00-10:00pm and plan on sleeping in your car as they only allow so many in at one time. The line gets LONG fast. Work the outside edges and be in shape as when the gates open hunters will be running to get to an area. Most of these birds are presured all ready so if you get on one and can shoot do so as someone else will bust your setup if they hear a gobbling bird.

Good luck

Mr. Longbeard 01-14-2013 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare (Post 4026651)
Be there the night before opening around 9:00-10:00pm and plan on sleeping in your car as they only allow so many in at one time. The line gets LONG fast. Work the outside edges and be in shape as when the gates open hunters will be running to get to an area. Most of these birds are presured all ready so if you get on one and can shoot do so as someone else will bust your setup if they hear a gobbling bird.

Good luck

lol that sounds like were i hunt... You mean theres more place like that in the us...