Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
New Hunter in IL. Turkey Permit Clarification >

New Hunter in IL. Turkey Permit Clarification

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Hunter in IL. Turkey Permit Clarification

Old 12-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Spike

Default New Hunter in IL. Turkey Permit Clarification

New hunter, just bought my first shotgun in the fall and have done some rabbit and squirrel hunting. Parents bought me a mossberg 500 12 guage and now im looking into the bigger game.

After reading through the IL DNR's website reference turkey tags and applying for permits, I'm still confused... I hope someone can shine some light on how all this works for me.

How does the lottery drawing work exactly? I saw on the application, you can pick up to 10 sites you would like to hunt. if you are drawn are you allowed to hunt all 10 of these sites or how does it get chosen?

What is this stuff about group hunting and how does that work? Is it better to enter as a group?

Also, after you receive a permit, how do you go about acquiring tags?

Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to buy a permit without knowing how it works, and i know im passed the resident deadline so the permits are filling up fast.

Thanks in advance,

Tcanuth
Old 12-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Each of the ten choices are site and season specific. If you are successful, you will get one tag allowing you to hunt the special hunt area or county during one of the five week long (+/- as it varies) parts of the entire season. Special hunt areas are public ground that have a limited amount of hunters. County choices are used for private property. I am not sure if there is any public ground that is open to walk in hunting. I believe you have to specify which public area you want to hunt and be successful in drawing a tag for that site.

Once you get the permit from IDNR, all you need is a hunting license and a habitat stamp. One permit = one male turkey.

I applied for the following in this order Macoupin 2nd season, Macoupin 3rd, and Macoupin 4th. If successful, I will get one tag for one of those seasons that is valid for Macoupin County only. I did not fill out all ten choices.

You still have time to get into the lottery for the second drawing. I believe the deadline in somewhere around January 3rd. You should be able to apply on-line.

There will be a third lottery and then daily draws for all of the remaining permits until sold out. You are allowed a maximum of two tags. But, you cannot apply for or get two tags in the same lottery.

The group option is for more than one hunter. If applying as a group and one hunter in the group gets a tag, all hunters get a tag. Never tried it. There might be a couple additional requirements to be successful as a group. For instance, if three in the group and only two permits are available, no one will get a tag. Not 100% sure.

One other tidbit of advice...... IDNR is a bitch to contact by phone. When I call them, I dial the phone number for the director who is the head honcho. None of the other sections will answer their phone. The Director's Office will always answer.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Spike

I appreciate the help. Kind of makes more sense as you are actually applying for it. We're trying the group hunt so we'll see how that goes. Fingers crossed for Clinton Lake.

I know what you mean about the DNR. Their site sometimes is about as clear as mud sometimes and it is sometimes impossible to clarify some of the things unless you know someone who has experience.

Hopefully they will get their budget back someday and use it wisely.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Spike

Just like what rogerstv said. Be SURE you know exactly where you want to hunt. If you have private property, then all you need is that county's tag. However, if you want to hunt public land, make sure you apply for a site specific tag and season. If you don't get your first choice, they'll probably give you your second, third, or fourth...etc depending on tag availability. I checked and saw I got a tag for 1st season, now just waiting to see if I can get a second. Good luck. Oh...and don't forget your hunting license and stamps.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Correction.....

One permit = one bearded turkey. Doesn't have to be a male. All turkeys are fair game in the fall.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

Deadline for the second lottery is January 11:
http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...eyHunting.aspx
I believe you are now allowed 3 permits.
Check here for remaining available permits:
http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...sbyCounty.aspx
Public sites are at the end of the list. They are given in abbreivations that are not always obvious and not alphabetical. You may have to look at a paper application (you can download one on the DNR site-should be on first link above) to get the abbreviations for sites you are interested in. I glanced through the list and didn't see anything left for Clinton (but don't take my word, check it yourself), but Hidden Springs was available for later seasons (3-5). Probably some other stuff in the area too.
We apply as a group every year. First person is the group leader, all others have to enter the leader's customer number in their application (a box will appear on the website when you check "join a group"). I don't think it gives you any advantage or disadvantage.
Good Luck.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Tcanuth,

Illinois public is pretty tight for tags. Normally you will draw one of your first ten picks in the first lottery, but that is about it. If you draw in the first lottery, you are not elligible for the second. There are very few decent tags left by the third lottery, most on the far south of the state.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Spike

I appreciate the help guys. Really looking forward to getting out there and trying out my new 12g and hopefully bringing a bird home.

Missed the first lottery as i wasn't planning on doing any turkey hunting but got my 2nd lottery app in on dec 28th so just waiting to hear if I got a permit.

Also sent off an email to the DNR while waiting and this is what they had said in response:

"If you have 10 choices down and when you application is pulled we try and give you your 1st choice, if it is sold out then we try you 2nd choice etc. until you are awarded a permit or if we get to the 10th choice and that is sold out you are refunded.

Group hunt – you may 2 or no more than 6 in a group. Each must apply in the same lottery and have the same choices. if you apply online the group leader applies first and selects “create a new group”, which automatically enters his/hers IDNR Customer #. Then the others apply and select “join an existing group” and a drop down box will appear for them to enter the group leader’s IDNR Customer #. By applying as a group each will get the same count/season or all will get refunded

If you are awarded a permit and want another permit? if you received a spring turkey permit from the 1st lottery then you may apply in the 3rd lottery (deadline Feb 11) for your second permit and again in the random daily drawings (March 11) for your 3rd and final permit

Permit Office"
Old 01-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Spike

This information has been very helpful to me, as I am hoping to turkey hunt for the first time as well. Just wish I had known before that public land was only the special sites and not the counties =/
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Spike

Well just checked the online permit status and have one issued for mclean county for 5th season...Our last choice. Hard part is going to be finding some private land with turkey that would allow us out.

Thanks for the help guys. I greatly appreciate it.

If anyone has any tips on turkey land in mclean county let me know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.