Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
How to get turkey onto your property >

How to get turkey onto your property

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How to get turkey onto your property

Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Spike

Default How to get turkey onto your property

Just like the title says how do you get them coming in. I'm just starting to get into turkey hunting and I'm not sure if the are on my dads property or not.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

Do you have clearings on the land?
You may want to thin out turkey and turkey egg predators, raccoons, foxes, possums, squirrels,
Old 11-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Spike

I will sell you some of mine. I got too many.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

First thing I would do is starting scouting and looking for the signs, scratchings, poop (etc).
Old 11-25-2012, 03:14 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Invite Arrowmaster - he's a big turkey!

JW
Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JW
Invite Arrowmaster - he's a big turkey!

JW

funny
Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Spike

Oh, most definitely. Very nice.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

If you have clearings we plant clover and they love it and look for turkey poop prints feathers skratchins and listen right before dark and early in the morning for them if they are near you will hear them they are loud little things and listen for any noise during the day very closely they don't make a whole lotta noise during the reagular day but you might just hear one. Hope that helps
Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Not exactly sure how. But about 10 years ago there were no turkeys on the property I hunt. I set a corn feeder in an area I wanted to use as a deer sanctuary. About 2 years later I got a pic of one hen. Then a tom. Then a few more hens. Two springs ago or about 6 years after putting out the feeder I had about 30 turkeys at the feeder in the spring and each spring since they seem to be growing in number.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Roost areas and food sources would be a good place to start. Not sure where you live but there are several things to do. Turkeys love food plots just like deer. I feed corn to the turkeys on our farms from now until about March 15th. Do controlled burns in the timber, this opens it up which creates more feeding opportunity b/c of native grasses and improves strutting ground. Predators are another key to having good turkey numbers. Trap as many coons and possums as you can. We bought a 100 acre farm several years ago and we would only see 7-12 turkeys on it for a couple years. I had a guy tell me to start working on the predators and I would see a big increase in my flock. The first year I trapped or shot 100 possums and 35 coons. We now have 50-75 birds on that farm every year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.