Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
New Guy needs suggestions.... >

New Guy needs suggestions....

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Guy needs suggestions....

Old 09-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Try the HeviShot Magnum Blend shells.....you get several shot sizes in one shell. They are extremely effective and hold amazing patterns.
Good Luck
Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by c5ken
I have a Rem 1100 12ga 3"mag with a .655 Hastings choke. I've been shooting Rem & Win #4 turkey loads. I'm not happy with the performance at 40 yrds. Can someone suggest a choke (Size-ID and Make) so I can turn this gun into a 40/50 yard performer with #4 shot? Help...
I have a Rem 11-87 and have used it the past 20 yrs. I have a similar set-up as I use a Hasting Choke 0.665 and I use 3 inch Winchester Supreme #4 Copper Plated. I see no reaso to change to any other type shot as this has performed for me flawlessly - is far cheaper than Hevi shot and the other brands.
My set-up also includes a Nikon Monarch turkey Pro Scope and this gun is a 55 yarder if needed.
But I am proud to say with all the birds I have taken - my average is still 21 yards........some far closer and a few beyond that but I try to get them in close - so close so I can see the fuzz on their head.

JW
Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Spike

I never believed in a scope for turkeys until I tried the Nikon Monarch Turkey Pro. It is absolutely amazing and I absolutely killed with it this year. It makes it real difficult to miss.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

the only way to see what works is to put alot of time in at the range. I went probably 10 times the month before spring turkey season trying all different combinations of chokes and ammo.
on my Remington 870 20 gauge I stuck w/ a Primo's Jellyhead choke and 3'' Winchester double X turkey loads. I also like Hevi-Shot Magnum shells. They both shoot really tight patterns out to about 40-43 yards; which is way beyond what I even feel comfortably taking a bird.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Spike

I am suggesting that you work. I like probably many other avid turkey hunters with the shot shell rather than change the choke tube in the same camp as those. Anice gobbler several years back that turned out to be about 60 yards the patterns start falling apart badly.

generic printer ink cartridges

Last edited by smithson654; 10-31-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Super Vinci with HeviShot Magnum Blend Shells AWESOME
Old 10-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Spike

get an 870