Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
New Lessons From The Turkey Woods >

New Lessons From The Turkey Woods

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Lessons From The Turkey Woods

Old 05-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Red face New Lessons From The Turkey Woods

I went on what was probably my last hunt for the spring season with high hopes of getting my young hunter a nice Turkey. It rained,thundered and lighting was non stop for 3 to 4 hours the night before our hunt Saturday morning. This happened last year here in Indiana the night before the youth season as well. We got out at 5:30 am set up our blind and hunkered down,the rain and storms ended at 7:00 or so. Saw one Deer a Posseum and no Turkeys. At 8:30 nature called got out of the blind after looking to be sure no Turkeys were in sight,bad move. Due to the heavy down pours the Birds were soaked through and through,so they stayed on the roost longer than normal. About the time I turned to get back into the blind here they come of the roost 130 yards away and they soared right past us saw me and got as far from our spot quickly as possible. First Lesson, After a heavy rain be aware that they come down later than normal. From now on I will try to hang in there at least until 9:00 or a couple of hours after the rain is done. You may say why did I even get out of the blind,well my hunter was a young lady enough said.
Once we realized they were not coming back in our area,we got out of the blind went 400 yards to a back bean field, calling as we went. Second Mistake, when your in a valley and a Turkey gobbles at your call and it sounds like he is to your left stop and call again before going left. I and my hunter both looked left and headed to a good spot to get ready to our left. We entered the field only to realize the Turkeys were to our right,what we heard was the echo down the valley. Two strutters where all faned out looking right where I called from,when we steped out of our cover they saw us,game over hard lesson learned. So after a hard Rain let the birds dry out,give them more time to come off the roost.
Also if a Turkey gobbles in a valley,make sure it's not the echo you here and end up going the wrong way. But check to the right from cover they may be at the opposite end of the valley.

Last edited by doetrain; 05-08-2012 at 07:16 AM.