HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Missouri Thunder Chicken Down (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/363335-missouri-thunder-chicken-down.html)

MIZ_hunter7 04-30-2012 05:32 PM

Missouri Thunder Chicken Down

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got my redemption bird this past Saturday. Due to me going to school an hour and a half from our property I don't get the scouting opportunities I want. I went hunting on the 21st but never heard a gobble. But this past Saturday I took a gamble and rushed home Friday night. Got out to the woods right before sunrise. As I was approaching my new set up (about a quarter mile west from my first setup), an owl flew overhead and landed, gave a hoot and this old bird started gobbling in his roost. I set up at the corner of a road at the treeline, about 75 yards from his roost. I called out a few soft cuts and purrs here and there. We went back and forth for an hour. He finally caught eye of my Primo's B-Mobile and my hen laid down. He crept through the timber to my left and I didn't see him till he was 15 yards out. I leaned around the tree and laid into him. 22 lbs. 10" beard with 1" spurs.

Phil from Maine 04-30-2012 05:37 PM

Congrats on a nice turkey! Being persistent paid off for you..

doetrain 05-01-2012 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by MIZ_hunter7 (Post 3933832)
Finally got my redemption bird this past Saturday. Due to me going to school an hour and a half from our property I don't get the scouting opportunities I want. I went hunting on the 21st but never heard a gobble. But this past Saturday I took a gamble and rushed home Friday night. Got out to the woods right before sunrise. As I was approaching my new set up (about a quarter mile west from my first setup), an owl flew overhead and landed, gave a hoot and this old bird started gobbling in his roost. I set up at the corner of a road at the treeline, about 75 yards from his roost. I called out a few soft cuts and purrs here and there. We went back and forth for an hour. He finally caught eye of my Primo's B-Mobile and my hen laid down. He crept through the timber to my left and I didn't see him till he was 15 yards out. I leaned around the tree and laid into him. 22 lbs. 10" beard with 1" spurs.

Great Bird MIZ and good hunt story. Congratulations on and awesome looking Tom.

turkey harvester 05-01-2012 11:46 AM

Nice bird, way to keep after him.

RPD63 05-01-2012 12:07 PM

Nice bird. Congrats. Cool how quiet they can be when they sneak in.

Todd1700 05-01-2012 12:17 PM

Congrats! That's a fine gobbler.

mw_Guerilla 05-02-2012 06:10 PM

Nice bird! i'm a fellow missourian too! hope to fill my tags with something this nice this weekend!

MIZ_hunter7 05-03-2012 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by mw_Guerilla (Post 3934345)
Nice bird! i'm a fellow missourian too! hope to fill my tags with something this nice this weekend!

My best advice. Is to throw a curve ball. These birds in MO are all messed up this year. I had to go somewhere I didn't ever see birds at on our property. Also keep the calling to a minimum. Every 15 minutes or so, even if one is gobbling his head off like this bird was. But good luck, hope you can bag and tag one before season ends.

Chaz12 05-03-2012 04:53 PM

Ya, hope I can be as lucky this year.. First time hunting anything, BUT a turkey would be great to get..