Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
My Daughter's 2nd Gobbler >

My Daughter's 2nd Gobbler

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

My Daughter's 2nd Gobbler

Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Spike

Default My Daughter's 2nd Gobbler

Took my 13 year old and 8 year old daughters turkey hunting this weekend. Sat in the ground blind Friday & Saturday trying to get my 8 year old a bird without any luck. The birds were not using that field any more.

By Sunday morning we had had enough of just sitting in a blind, so my 8 year old went with my dad while my 13 year old and I headed out to find some birds. We located several gobblers on the roost and moved into position. They answered my calls but went the other way after flying down. We heard gobbling to the west and north of us so we set up in a small clearing where a large draw comes in from the north and joins the creek. I decided to use only a single hen decoy.

After about 30 minutes of calling, I had two birds answering and moving closer. The finally showed up to our left on top of a very steep creek bank. I figured that there was no way that they would come down the steep bank but I was wrong. The birds came down the bank and ended up on our side of the creek. We were then treated to a very amazing show. The dominant gobbler fanned out and began to strut, slowing moving toward the decoy. It was very obvious that he wasn't just running to the "hen" but that he was showing off for her. He would take a few steps, spin around, and then take a few more steps. How he did not see me and my daughter sitting against the tree or hear our heavy breathing or thumping hearts, I really don't know.

I tried numerous times to get the gobbler to break strut but he was so engrossed in the decoy that he just kept strutting his stuff. He finally got to the decoy and spun around again. When he did, I clucked, yelped, and everything in between to get him to raise his head. He broke strut and raised his head just enough to give my daughter a shot. I didn't even have time to tell her to shoot before her 20 gauge boomed and she dropped the bird only 17 yards away. The tom had a thick 9 1/2" beard and 1 1/8" spurs. Better than either one of my gobblers this season.

Definitely an enjoyable and memorable hunt. Enjoy the pic.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

FANtastic, nice pic and great story, congrats to your daughter.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:35 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Great bird and story!! Got a 6 and 3 year old daughter, can't wait until their old enough to bust one!! Took my 6 year old youth weekend just so she could hear one, we had a great time. Congrats again, that's awesome!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Spike

Congratulations
Old 04-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story. Congrats to both of you.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Congratulations it is very satisfying to help youngsters get their bird.
Both of you will remember it forever.
Very nice looking bird. Thanks for sharing.....

louie
Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

AWESOME!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

I had a similar situation this year, I couldn't get my bird to break strut so when he directly faced me I put the bead on his neck and let him have it. Not a flop after he went down.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to you and your daughter. Always great to see kids getting involved!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Spike

Well done! Pretty exciting times!
My 10 year old just got his first. Here's the video: http://youtu.be/XYm3-DkQLSo?hd=1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.