Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Is Turkey Hunting A Challenge For You? >

Is Turkey Hunting A Challenge For You?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Is Turkey Hunting A Challenge For You?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya Supermag43, a lot of factors determine the difficulty of hunting either Deer or Turkey. The windy days in valleys and on ridges do make it tough not being detected by that undefeatable Whitetail nose. I can't imagine what it would be like hunting Turkey in mountainous terrain,my bad knees ache just thinking about it.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Spike

It's a challenge, mostly because it's a sport that requires a good performance by the hunter. Yeah there's some scouting involved. But not as much as year round scouting for deer. But in turkey hunting between the calling, decoy set up, and timing. It makes for a hell of a challenge. Now I'm not saying deer hunting is a breeze, it's got its challenges. But I think that's why we do it. It's a challenge and the reward is worth it. Hanging up an old long beard. If it was easy, a lot more people would do it I think, and it wouldn't be as much fun also.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

They can both be equally challenging at times. If I had to choose one I would choose turkeys, thank goodness I dont have to choose.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Ridge Runner, I hunt turkeys in eastern NC. The tom has to have a hen with him for it to work that easy. He can't look bad in front of the lady. I have had toms do just what you describe if they don't have a hen. For that reason I don't use the full strut deke after noon because my experience has been like yours, the birds will strut at distance and then leave.

Now, if they have a hen, I have had birds come a running from across large fields to fight that deke.