HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   2-3/4" vs. 3" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/362061-2-3-4-vs-3-a.html)

reubj 04-10-2012 05:14 AM

2-3/4" vs. 3"

I have a choice. Which 12 Ga would you guys choose:

2-3/4" with full choke
or
3" with modified choke?

Topgun 3006 04-10-2012 05:43 AM

No choice there at all! The full 2 3/4" with #5 or #6 that pattern best in the gun. Modified chokes aren't for turkey hunting. Most turkey hunting is done with a choke that even has more constriction than a full one.

kdsberman 04-10-2012 07:51 AM

3" with modified.

Only reason being is when I got in to turkey hunting all i ever used was my single shot 12GA w/3" in a modified choke. Never missed a bird.

UncleNorby 04-10-2012 08:05 AM

The 2.75 will work fine. But I have heard that Federal flight control turkey loads shoot about like the next size tighter choke. May be worth a try.

Go with the gun that patterns best with the ammo you have or can afford.

Topgun 3006 04-10-2012 08:28 AM

I would hope you wouldn't miss a bird within about 40 yards with a modified choke, LOL!. The problem is that with the wider pattern that choke throws that you may also not kill him every time! You need a tight choke to put as many pellets in the head/neck area as possible, not in the body where they will allow a bird to get away!

reubj 04-10-2012 08:59 AM

Good idea! I'll get some targets and pattern both guns. Could be interesting.

kdsberman 04-10-2012 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 3928548)
I would hope you wouldn't miss a bird within about 40 yards with a modified choke, LOL!. The problem is that with the wider pattern that choke throws that you may also not kill him every time! You need a tight choke to put as many pellets in the head/neck area as possible, not in the body where they will allow a bird to get away!

You know what I mean. Dropped a bird every time, and NEVER attempted anything past 25 yards.

Topgun 3006 04-10-2012 11:12 AM

Nope, I never assume anything, especially on the net when I don't know a person that makes a statement like that. Your post didn't say you kept your shots to a max of 25 yards with it and that's fine, but how many people asking the question the OP did would keep the distance that close? I'll stay with my comment to stay with a tight choke to lessen chances of wounding a magnificent bird. Have a good season, as we're getting close to the 4/23 opener up here.

kdsberman 04-10-2012 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 3928573)
Nope, I never assume anything, especially on the net when I don't know a person that makes a statement like that. Your post didn't say you kept your shots to a max of 25 yards with it and that's fine, but how many people asking the question the OP did would keep the distance that close? I'll stay with my comment to stay with a tight choke to lessen chances of wounding a magnificent bird. Have a good season, as we're getting close to the 4/23 opener up here.

Seems to me you're looking further into MY post than ME, who wrote it. If you dont assume anything, dont ASSUME I was referring to "within 40 yards".

23rd...CANT WAIT.
26th (NFL Draft), cant wait neither!

Topgun 3006 04-10-2012 04:32 PM

"Seems to me you're looking further into MY post than ME, who wrote it. If you dont assume anything, dont ASSUME I was referring to "within 40 yards"."

Sir---You need to remember that there are many people just getting into hunting that ask questions and to not give a complete answer is not doing them any good, and, in fact, could do harm. Without telling the guy that you keep your shots inside 25 yards with the modified choke, and if I had not made my post, there may have been a good chance that he would have figured that just because he used that 3" shell that he could shoot out to 40 or 50 yards. Therefore, don't assume anything or you know what the old saying is if you do, LOL!