Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

roost shooting

Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry for the misconception JW I wasn't saying you know it all. I WAS SPEAKING OF OntElk.

I personally like to shoot only 4 or 5 year old birds but they obviously are prefered to be on the roost when shot. I like to make it a challenge but not too much of one.

Last edited by Timbrhuntr; 04-11-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh Brother, what a line of crappola, LOL!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

lol. he is full of it topgun. I am guessing he is just young and like many shares a persona on the internet but remains nameless and faceless so blows lots out of his mouth.

I, like JW, have tons to learn and do not even come close to knowing it all. That's why when I listen to some hunters who know far more than me it underscores how the odd regular internet blowhard really does have his head up his #*!

I was keeping it nameless but the fella calls himself out lol. Again I guess when you keep yourself nameless and faceless on the these boards you can pretty much say whatever. Sorry timbrhuntr if I don't share you're view on the sport and will inquire to those who have far more experience and knowledge on the subject than you and I combined.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

I should also add that timbrhuntr does talk of many hunts and all over US states etc. That is great and part of the reason it surprises me his perception on some things like roost shooting. Makes me wonder if my stance against it is maybe more in the minority than I might think. In other words I am hoping to draw a better understanding and will ask a question knowing full well I don't know it all lol.

To be fair I think his disdain for me comes from a couple years back when he posted a pic of his 2 Ont birds side by side (no pic of his face as usual) and I asked him how he keeps his shot birds if he doesn't clean them same day. You see you can't shoot 2 in one day in Ont and so one had to be kept at least overnight. He unfortunately took that as a suggestion that he poached one and shot 2 together even though I had one hanging in the cold cellar and was pondering leaving it until next day to finish cleaning. I knew he turkey hunted lots and thought he had some tips to share.

I guess if I thought I had a guy accusing me of something I might not like him but his reaction made me think maybe he DID do something wrong at the time. Always been a little suspect since but I will say he does share the desire to hunt these great birds. I give him credit for that at least.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

This is my opinion.......
I prefer fare chase, I hunt the Roost Every hunt, I get close very close, I have never nor will I ever shoot a turkey on the Roost.

If they come to me on the ground then I have used my hunting skills to get my gobbler, scouting, setting up, calling him in and shooting strait.

It is not illegal here in Colorado to shoot a turkey off the roost, on one hunt I set up on a roosted gobbler and as light broke I heard a shot and saw the same clown that ruined my setup the day before (he walked right through my decoys, He followed the sound of me and two gobblers I was calling to). He ran down the hill to his kill and when I saw him leave I checked it out, he had gutted it and I found eggs. Nothing wrong with a bearded hen if it was bearded.( in Colorado bearded hens are legal,you may shoot a bearded turkey here ) I had a young boy with me and had to explain what just happed.
I know this guy was a clown and a stupid one because coming into someones calling can get you killed!
From his behavior I think he just didn't have the knowledge and hunting skills to hunt and kill a bird Ethically giving the bird a far chance, he took the fast and unethical way in my opinion.

I agree any idiot can shoot a bird off of the roost, shooting a bird of the roost even if it is not illegal, the idiot is NO HUNTER just a lazy killer .

We had a guy hear hunting bear..... he shot the bear while it was sleeping in its den! He's no hunter! Just a killer! Colorado DOW did not expect a hunter to do such an underhanded thing so after that incident they immediately made it illegal.
Sometimes when there is no law against an act it does not mean the act is expected and meant to be legal.

I wonder all those that say it is legal in their state to shoot a turkey off the roost...
Is it really? Or did those states just not think they had lazy clowns shooting roosted turkeys?

If you put in the effort you can become a turkey hunter and not just a killer.
To any who have done it and learned from their mistakes I say thank you and welcome!

And thats my opinion.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with you on shooting birds on the roost whether it's legal in a state or not. Technically, here in MI it doesn't matter what time of day it is if they are up in a tree. It's plainly illegal in the game laws. My buddy called in a great mature longbeard one time in a real thick area and the bird flew up in a tree real close to him trying to find the hen (my buddy calling him). He could have killed the bird easily and nobody would have known, except him. It's those times when you know you can do something and not get caught that define a true, ethical person. Most guys also don't shoot ducks on the water even though it's probably legal everywhere! The day I have to do either is the day I hang it up!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-11-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Not everyone's goals are the same. If someones goal is to get a turkey, and if it is legal to shoot it off the roost, then by all means shoot it on the roost!!! Who am I to call someone unethical or lazy if they are following the law?? I don't have a lot of turkey experience, so I'll use deer as an example.
There are places I can go hunt where I can almost guarantee that I can get a doe whenever I want. There are just a lot of doe running around. All I have to do is get out of the truck and go for a walk and I can shoot a doe. Does it make me lazy or unethical to go there and shoot a doe? No, it makes me a person who wants or needs to shoot a doe. Do I go there and shoot a doe all the time? Nope. I go there if I need a deer for the freezer or to look for buck. Your goals are not my goals. If my goals are to put a turkey or some ducks on the table, then as long as I am legal, I should be able to pursue that goal in whatever way I choose.
-Jake
Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by OntElk
lol. he is full of it topgun. I am guessing he is just young and like many shares a persona on the internet but remains nameless and faceless so blows lots out of his mouth.

I, like JW, have tons to learn and do not even come close to knowing it all. That's why when I listen to some hunters who know far more than me it underscores how the odd regular internet blowhard really does have his head up his #*!

I was keeping it nameless but the fella calls himself out lol. Again I guess when you keep yourself nameless and faceless on the these boards you can pretty much say whatever. Sorry timbrhuntr if I don't share you're view on the sport and will inquire to those who have far more experience and knowledge on the subject than you and I combined.
You are a great guy I just again forgot how great. Not trying to make it personal too funny and I'm the blow hard even funnier.
I really blow alot out of my mouth, I hardly ever post because of guys like you.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by OntElk
I should also add that timbrhuntr does talk of many hunts and all over US states etc. That is great and part of the reason it surprises me his perception on some things like roost shooting. Makes me wonder if my stance against it is maybe more in the minority than I might think. In other words I am hoping to draw a better understanding and will ask a question knowing full well I don't know it all lol.

To be fair I think his disdain for me comes from a couple years back when he posted a pic of his 2 Ont birds side by side (no pic of his face as usual) and I asked him how he keeps his shot birds if he doesn't clean them same day. You see you can't shoot 2 in one day in Ont and so one had to be kept at least overnight. He unfortunately took that as a suggestion that he poached one and shot 2 together even though I had one hanging in the cold cellar and was pondering leaving it until next day to finish cleaning. I knew he turkey hunted lots and thought he had some tips to share.

I guess if I thought I had a guy accusing me of something I might not like him but his reaction made me think maybe he DID do something wrong at the time. Always been a little suspect since but I will say he does share the desire to hunt these great birds. I give him credit for that at least.
Ya first you try and make me out to be a poacher and now say I'm a roost shooter. All with ever even having met me. I even TALK of hunts all over the states. Probably lying about that too right. By the way what is my stance on roost shooting since I don't think I ever gave it.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Banned

hunters shouldnt be bashing hunters. we all spend the money to pursue a quarry. i would never shoot one off the roost but that is a decision i have made. i will not bash another guy if he so chooses to shoot one if it is legal for him to do so. the way i see it. roost shooting is no different than killing a deer at 3,4 or 500 yds with a rifle. everyone has to decide for themselves what is ok in their mind for hunting. if it is legal i couldnt care less. doesnt mean i have to like it or do it. but I WILL NOT BASH HIM/HER FOR DOING IT AND GIVE THE ANTIS MORE AMMO. they love to read these posts where hunters bash hunters.
just to be clear.. i have not and never will kill a bird from the roost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.